JUst bought a KTM

Hey guys been ridin yamahas my whole life...i just bought a 2003 sx450..just wondering how the bike is, and if there is anything i need to watch for...how often valves need adjusted? and wheres best place to order parts? ill post pics of it later, i guess iit only has 6 hours on it...not a scratch and still factory everything!

Ktm Engines are the most reliable and fastest. better than yamahas. you shouldn't have any problems, maybe getting use to it. that was my problem.

Hey guys been ridin yamahas my whole life...i just bought a 2003 sx450..just wondering how the bike is, and if there is anything i need to watch for...how often valves need adjusted? and wheres best place to order parts? ill post pics of it later, i guess iit only has 6 hours on it...not a scratch and still factory everything!

I hate to be the one to tell you this but the 2003 450 SX was a suspect machine. Factory got a bad batch of Ti-valves which in turn broke. KTM even recalled a great number of these bikes so they could update those valves.

Most -03s out there are fixed by now but it´s better you check that out with the previous owner.

Later batch of -03s had the problem corrected before they even hit the dealers.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but the 2003 450 SX was a suspect machine. Factory got a bad batch of Ti-valves which in turn broke. KTM even recalled a great number of these bikes so they could update those valves.

Most -03s out there are fixed by now but it´s better you check that out with the previous owner.

Later batch of -03s had the problem corrected before they even hit the dealers.

ouch...never heard of that

zackbothbike015.jpgzackbothbike013.jpg Here is my bike..how do i get the rust of the pipe? any ideas?
zackbothbike014.jpg

? any answers to how i get that rust off the pipe?

WD 40 + Scotch Brite + Elbow grease = Better looking pipe:prof:

ouch...never heard of that

Yeah ,ouch... My friend made a Sallad of his -03 450 SX engine back in -03. It dropped one valve in the end of a high speed straight.:thumbsup::eek: KTM replaced (updated to -04 parts) everything under Warranty.Go to KtmTalk and do a search. You´ll find plenty of info about the subject.

2003 was a dark year for KTM. Their 450`s had bad valves (some of them) and the first batch of 525`s came out with wrong CDI-unit (from a 450 SX) which allowed the mighty 525 to rev way past their peak revs... They also had a bad batch of triple clamps that year. Those cracked... Everything was replaced under the Warranty though...

Yeah ,ouch... My friend made a Sallad of his -03 450 SX engine back in -03. It dropped one valve in the end of a high speed straight.:thumbsup::eek: KTM replaced (updated to -04 parts) everything under Warranty.Go to KtmTalk and do a search. You´ll find plenty of info about the subject.

2003 was a dark year for KTM. Their 450`s had bad valves (some of them) and the first batch of 525`s came out with wrong CDI-unit (from a 450 SX) which allowed the mighty 525 to rev way past their peak revs... They also had a bad batch of triple clamps that year. Those cracked... Everything was replaced under the Warranty though...

thank god they fixed their errors before it would go into next year...

I moved to KTM from Yamaha in 04 But was told buy lot's and lot's of people not to touch them due to the bad valves ect from the 03 bikes due to the amount of failures people were having. I must admit I never had a problem with any of my KTM's and they are so good to ride.Check that you have had the recall and you will be fine.

I moved to KTM from Yamaha in 04 But was told buy lot's and lot's of people not to touch them due to the bad valves ect from the 03 bikes due to the amount of failures people were having. I must admit I never had a problem with any of my KTM's and they are so good to ride.Check that you have had the recall and you will be fine.

You´re right about most bikes being fixed by now. I have never had any troubles on my -03 525 SX either but the dealer called me before i had a change to break it. It had the wrong CDI-box (from a 450 SX) and faulty triple clamps.

I just wanted to make a point about some problems the -03 SX´s had. Most likely almost all bikes are fixed and there´s no worries but i would hate to be the one to buy a used -03 bike and see it destroy itself - all because i didn´t know better. A sight over the engine internals after a major melt-down can and will make a grown man cry...I´ve seen that happen. Honestly ! So Kounkel ; check that this exact bike has got everything replaced. You can do it thru KTM or thru a KTM dealer.