Sign in to follow this  

yz250?

would this be good for forestry riding, maybe tight turns, mud etc..but there will also be big straights i can flog it on. and in the paddock, somtimes i like to flog it, and then just cruise around, depends if im feeling lazy or not..

would i be better off with the 2 stroke, or 4 stroke?

well you cant just cruise around on a two stroke or you will end up fouling plugs all the time. they need to be kept up in the power. If your not accelerating, your braking:). If your not confident/comfortable that you can do this you should maybe consider a 4stroke.

If you get you jetting close to perfect you can go as fast or slow as you you like. My 06 will run fast or slow depending on who i'm following, i much prefer it over the 02 426 that i used to have:thumbsup:

The yz 250 would be perfect for what your doing. I dont consider myself a hard rider by any means. My yz 250 ate one spark plug in its life . That was when it was brand new and not jetted properly. I have also killed a few myself with water on the airfilter.

I would hate to total the hours I spent following new riders on xr 50's. If any bike can survive this without fouling plugs, its ok.

In the old days this was partially true. They would foul plugs for no apparent reason. The modern ignitions are excellent. Plugs dont have to be an issue in slow conditions.

The yz 250 would be perfect for what your doing. I dont consider myself a hard rider by any means. My yz 250 ate one spark plug in its life . That was when it was brand new and not jetted properly. I have also killed a few myself with water on the airfilter.

I would hate to total the hours I spent following new riders on xr 50's. If any bike can survive this without fouling plugs, its ok.

In the old days this was partially true. They would foul plugs for no apparent reason. The modern ignitions are excellent. Plugs dont have to be an issue in slow conditions.

Ditto this. I can lug and chug the bike all day and have yet to foul even one plug. Jet the bike for your riding/elevation/temperature and you'll enjoy!:thumbsup:

Also, don't worry about the trees as you'll learn to steer with the back wheel soon enough.:eek: I ride trees all the time and have only managed to whack my bark busters on them a few times per ride. (Whack vs. impale yourself type of tree impact)

thats great to hear guys. i guess i need a new bike;)

listen to what these guys are saying. as long as you buy a newer bike and jet it properly you should be good then.

if you have the option you may try to ride one of each and see what power delivery you like. Im a 2stroke man myself but ive taken a few people out and the power delivery can be intimidating with trees around :thumbsup:

would this be good for forestry riding, maybe tight turns, mud etc..but there will also be big straights i can flog it on. and in the paddock, somtimes i like to flog it, and then just cruise around, depends if im feeling lazy or not..

Although I do occasionally ride my YZ250 at MX tracks near my home, I mostly ride mine as you described. One-way single track and ATV-width trails, as well as farm roads, fields, etc. Once I hit up on the right combination of jetting and spark plug, I could then lug mine around through the woods all day without fouling. One time I did foul a plug after doing an extremely deep water crossing. However, I fared better than my two riding buddies on 4-strokes. Both of their bikes hydrolocked on them. The oil in one guy's bike looked like a Mocha-flavored milkshake when we got him back to our trucks to change it, and the other guy's air filter must have weighed 5 lbs. when he removed it! :thumbsup:

I would say that you really can't go wrong with a YZ250 for the type of riding that you are interested in doing. All of my riding buddies and relatives that have ridden mine now want one. Some of them have quads and others have other makes of dirt bikes. Two things that they all agree on are that the YZ250 handles great and makes plenty of power down low and in the middle; perfect combination for off-road riding.

thanks people for all your help! :eek::thumbsup:..but i will be getting a yz250 probz 02 model..03 at the latest, so will i foul plugs on it??..thankyou.

thanks people for all your help! :eek::thumbsup:..but i will be getting a yz250 probz 02 model..03 at the latest, so will i foul plugs on it??..thankyou.

If you get the jetting dialed in then no

TO SATISFY ALL YOUR NEVER-ENDING DISSECTING QUESTIONS ON 2-STROKE YZs... from enduro, trails, and MX tracks, here are some of the videos i uploaded for your amusement... just follow on the title of the links and listen to each word they are saying to appreciate who are the persons in the vids.... no worries, mate, many more of these vids will come, and i will continue posting them here haha! :eek:

we all have to see to it that you, oozing with so much questions, would believe us without a doubt on the performance of the YZ 2 strokes, from the tiddler YZ125 to the mid-size YZ250 :thumbsup:

have you heard about the saying "TO SEE IS TO BELIEVE" :D

http://www.livevideo.com/video/C791C1D394F34265B4F817D19D442A96/justin-williamson.aspx

http://www.livevideo.com/video/BEBC0756A679453DB2DC1180D72D3099/justin-williamson.aspx

http://www.livevideo.com/video/8060EAD32E6F45F9AA90DD9FA9229C38/chad-reed-riding-hepler-s-05-.aspx

now, this one is a cool YZ125 videos during a practice by your fellow countrymate, chad reed

http://www.livevideo.com/video/D4DB339910B64B3B957B776637BD6F3A/twmx-yz250.aspx

http://www.livevideo.com/video/B7ECD42184AF4D6D9061BDB38804179F/twmx-yz250.aspx

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v636186333ZtrHaj

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6307865AKnr3ZMY

I bought my '98 YZ250 for hare scrambles and woods riding and just replaced it with an '07 YZ250. I love both bikes in the woods - nimble and strong. Guess I need to get used to the new one as I almost prefer the power curve of the older one for trail riding. Both are great woods bikes with far less maintenance headaches than a 4-stroke MXer. Then there's that 2-stroke hit that I'm addicted to..........

I bought my '98 YZ250 for hare scrambles and woods riding and just replaced it with an '07 YZ250. I love both bikes in the woods - nimble and strong. Guess I need to get used to the new one as I almost prefer the power curve of the older one for trail riding. Both are great woods bikes with far less maintenance headaches than a 4-stroke MXer. Then there's that 2-stroke hit that I'm addicted to..........

older YZ250s are violent, mate! :thumbsup: ... i never was comfy with them compared to older CR250s. the model '96 i once ridden from a riding buddy has a better and smoother powerband :eek:

older YZ250s are violent, mate! :thumbsup: ... i never was comfy with them compared to older CR250s. the model '96 i once ridden from a riding buddy has a better and smoother powerband :eek:

The new one has a very wide powerband compared to the old one, almost - cough, cough - four-stroke like. I am used to the calm before the storm so having the giant wake right up without prodding it with the clutch is going to take some getting used to. 'Bout put me in the trees yesterday when I relaxed my throttle hand a bit in my favorite single track.

now, this one is a cool YZ125 videos during a practice by your fellow countrymate, chad reed

Chads a Aussie:ride: