Sign in to follow this  

1987 XL250R Kickstart decompresser mech orientation?

Hi All,

I've been given this bike as a non runner, I found it had the bolt holes on the end of the cam to cam sprocket broken due to some previous ham fisted "repair", the sprocket/cam bolts had been tightened with the sprocket not seated properly on the cam, which eventually lead to the failure of lobes that the sprocket bolts to.

Anyway, in my efforts to locate a small piece broken off the cam I took the clutch cover off to get a look in the bottom of the motor.

The problem I have is, when I removed the clutch cover I dislodged the auto decompresser "cam" that is splined on the kickstart shaft. If anyone knows what I'm talking about could you tell me its orientation, it has a protrusion with a very small square stamped on it, I've studied it and guessed this is supposed to point "12 O'clock". Good guess? :thumbsup::D:eek:

Oh yeah, I know, I need a manual!

Just realized, this is a european XL250R, think this was a XR250L in the states? (87 with the red motor)

Just to help anybody else in the future doing a search, the only thing I've found is a parts diagram which shows the kick start decompressor cam, it shows the orientation but no markings, will check later but I think there is a center punch mark that should go to "12 O'clock", that wil make the square mark about "2 O'clock".

Anyone confirm this? Or is everyone :thumbsup:

On my 93 xr250l the decompress-er cam and the shaft both have a punch mark that you line up. The mark on the shaft is hard to see. If I remember right the marks are in the 12 O clock position. Also when you slide the cover back on turn the bracket where the decompression cable hooks counter clock wise so it sits on the cam correctly. When cover is seated . Let me know if you need more help Ride hard and often

There are punch marks on the cam and the spindle, align the marks and slide the cam on. There is a washer that goes on next.