IMS Tank #2...Busted!!!

Hey All,

I was putting the bikes away in the garage after a good weekend of riding (finally back riding after a knee injury)and caught a whiff of race fuel as I passed by my 05 TC450 with 3.4 gal IMS. Long story short, I knew where it was coming from. I pulled the tank and there it was, a huge crack in the saddle of the tank. Tank #2 had cracked in almost the same place as tank #1 almost a year to the date. Funny, tank #1 only lasted a year as well.

I haven't contacted anyone about replacing the tank yet, but I intend to get on it tomorrow. The first tank was replaced immediatly without question by the shop where I purchased the tank. I was happy and back in the saddle with minimal down time.

So here is my question. before I act I wanted to see what you guys would do. Should I go the IMS route again, hopefully the tank would be replaced without question like last time. Even if the tank is replaced Im not sure if I trust the IMS tank anymore. Is this just a coincidence??? Or is this norm. Im thinking about clarke but not really into the look. any other options?

Oh well, I just thought I would vent for a minute before I go help my teenage son with Algebra.

Later,

CK

After 2 IMS tanks on my TE510 I went with a Clarke. I just cant worry about being in the middle of a long ride (Baja for example) and spring a leak. The Clarke feels slimmer but the fuel rides a little higher. Also with the Clarke you have room for a Husky fan kit as well. Good luck with your descision, and hey, if IMS wont warranty your tank you could always buy one from a fellow TT'er, check my signature.?

For looks They don't list it as an option on their website - but I would go for a clarke tank in red. But, I know natural is more functional.

As a sidenote, I just e-mailed clarke and ask them whether they have an '08 tank in the works - the answer was "nope".

jeff

The crack in the tank underside is VERY common.

The trick to prevent it is to put some foam over the frame, under the tank.

IMS tanks also have bubbles that can leak near the petcock.

I've always had luck with IMS sending me a new tank. I contact them, let them know whats up, send the old tank, and it works out. Not always that smoothly, but it works out.

Nothing against the Clark tank at all, great looking bike in the snow.

Guessing this was a white/natural 3.4gal tank......on my second IMS tank as well. First one (bought July 2007) leaked within 150-200 mile.

IMS was aware of problem and suppose to have fixed that just last October. My replacement tank was delayed a couple weeks, waiting for the new batch on tanks....new one appeared to be better quality and was heavier. Only two tank thru it, but so far no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I justed wanted to post an update on my cracked IMS tank situation. Logically I thought the best starting point was to contact the shop (Uptite) where I purchased the tank. George said to bring it in, we marked the area that was cracked and 6 days later I have a new IMS tank no charge. I noticed that the tank feels slightly heavier than the last one as well as the underside of the tank seem to be a bit stiffer (as previoulsy noted by "rlw"). I will be sure to lay some foam (probably a piece of wetsuit material) over the frame this time before installing the tank. I will keep an eye on things but overall I feel this is a quality product. I wanted to say thanks to all that had constructive advice and especially say thanks to george at uptite for taking care of his customers.

CK

After 2 IMS tanks on my TE510 I went with a Clarke. I just cant worry about being in the middle of a long ride (Baja for example) and spring a leak. The Clarke feels slimmer but the fuel rides a little higher. Also with the Clarke you have room for a Husky fan kit as well. Good luck with your descision, and hey, if IMS wont warranty your tank you could always buy one from a fellow TT'er, check my signature.:confused:

I'll note that I too have an extra tank of the same size in black sitting here since I sold my TC450, if anyone wants to buy it... name your price as it's basically useless to me since it won't fit my new ride.

Sharpie1: I'm back on husky - just picked up a 08 TE250 at reno cycles&gear today. Whenever the snow melts around your place I want to take on that bastard hill that shamed me last time we went riding. Hit me up! :excuseme:

• 3 weeks later...

So..., I go for a quick spin after work today (because I can!), and after a few small wheelies, I felt something rather wet running down my left leg. I look down and gas is gushing past the radiator shroud. :confused: Firt words - holy sh1t. Seconds words, hope this thing doesn't go up in flames. Naturally, I ride it home with a trail of gas following me. ? My three year old son said I left foot prints up the drive. :ride: I took the tank off and the hole was on the seam and just above the brass fitting at the lower part of the upper protusion (best way I can describe it). I guess it was a thin spot, and the vibes and friction rubbed through. Not to mention I rarely have the tank completely full. After removal, I called IMS and spoke with Jack (I think). He was very nice - no attitude. The 3.7's are three weeks out, but I am going to get one shipped and return the one I have. I like the tank (fit and looks), but not the feeling of being doused with gasoline... Now, I am going to have to rig something up so I can make a big ride in two weeks. That's my story. I'll let you know how it all tunrs out. And, I would install my stocker, but I sold it... ?

Chris