I've got an 06wr250f with these mods

AIS removal kit

40leak screw

quickshot

FMF powerbomb and Q2 muffler

All free mods

new 08yz piston

Rekluse clutch Z-start and perch ajuster

I race enduro's and HS and what I'm wondering is what combo should I run.

the trails up here are usualy pritty tight.

right now unless I'm stuck, or getting into truble I never 1st, and second seams to pull well but peak out pritty fast, and 3rd seams to be only good for higher speed flowing trails.

Should I try to make first and second more usable, or should I make 3rd pull harder.

let me know what you think

thanks

Shaky

I run a 13/48 in the desert, climbs very well, more use out of 1st and 2nd. didn't seem do to much to my other gears. moved my top speed from 86mph to 93mph

when I need more torque, i drop a 15 counter in, which brings it back to stock gearing.

I'm actually going to put a 12 counter in it, my math yeilds a 100mph top speed.

along with bb/stkr to compensate

sorry my bad, I get confused sometimes, I drop my 12 in when I need the torque, and keep my 13 in for regular rides, which goes 93, and if I put a 14 counter in, it will go 100, 107 with a 15which doesn't fit. exhaust which is definately more potent, and will have hotcams next week.

a 35hp diesel bike the marines uses goes 107, i think my wr will make it up to 100mph along with a big bore and stroker done to it

Gearing for tight trails depends alot on your own personal corner speed. I always gear my bikes so that I eliminate 1st gear and primarily use 2nd and 3rd even on the really tight corners where you come to a complete stop. It sounds like you could drop the rear sprocket at least 2 teeth and maybe 3 especially since you have a rekluse which will help you coming out of the corners. Just keep an eye on your clutch basket and install gap because if you put too much load on the rekluse then your clutch will suffer. Your rpm's should be low in the corner and then get on the gas early and smooth to build them up right before it time to get on the gas hard.

I've only been able to try mine in an indoor track, and already I love it. My corner speed is up, and my lap times are down, and my left elbo doesn't hurt (the real reason I needed one) I would recomend it to anyone. can't wait to try it in the tight twisty's

well now you've got me thinking. I was going to drop a tooth on the front, to make third have a little more pull, but what your saying is to try to make second and little taller?

Shaky

13/52 is pretty low gearing so I wouldn't go any lower and the yz250f comes with 13/48, but that is a tad tall on a stock motor. My dad has a wr 290 with a rekluse and he is running 13/50 right now. 13/52 was too low for both of us and 13/48 was too tall for him but worked great for me. I ride faster than him therefore I prefer a little taller gearing but the 13/50 still works good for me on his bike. I think 13/49 or 13/50 is where you need to be.

It sounds like your unhappy with your short 2nd, everyone starts off in seconds btw, or at least thats what I keep hearing on the mx section, your 3rd pulls pretty well.

if thats the case, why not go down a tooth or two in the back. my bike pushes its 93mph gearing very well. for my bike, 1 tooth on the counter = 2 teeth on the chainwheel.

just go from a 50 to a 49 or whatever yours is, drop one down, get the ultralight, which seems to me gave me a bit better accell, less roating mass, might be the placebo effect though. and you will get a bit more out of 2nd, 1st will still climb, 3rd will still pull stong, my fourth and fith full very nicely as well, i still hit my rev limiter

You guys DO KNOW that Shaky's 06 WR comes stock with 13/52 vs your YZF's stock at 13/48 for 01-06 models and 13/49 for 07 & 08 models?

YZFs and WRs internal gear box ratios are different hence their sprocket ratios are different. You can't compare the WR model to the YZF model, the gear box ratios will mess with how they handle/feel - i.e., you can't say use 13/48 on the WR since it feels great on the YZF.

07 & 08 WRs gear ratios are not as wide as the 01-06 WRs, so the newer WR's top speed will be lower than the older models. The YZFs have the lowest top speed but they are designed to accelerate quickly for jumps hence then don't need to do 70+mph.

yeah, I was giving him my gear ration 13/48 for my WR, its an 06.

stock did 86mph, i believe the 07-08 does 80. but my gearing yeilds 93mph top speed. great gearing for me all around. my bike pulls very well. stock gearing is also very good. I would go with stock gearing in a race, cause I only hit 93mph on the dry lakebed, 87 is my max speed ever hit on an actual trail, and I was test racing a, about to be entered, jeep speed class jeep.

stock gearing on WR's are actually quite perfect, go to my gearing if your bike is modded out pretty nicely and has plenty of power to push it. I hit my rev limiter now harder than when I did free modded with stock gearing.

just try out a couple different gear ratios, get cheap sprockets, and see what you like the best.

your gear ratio feels is souly on you and your preferences. this isn't like jetting a bike, we all feel differently the way we want our engine/suspension to perform. go what works best with you and your guaranteed to be happy