WR450F vs. 250 smoker

Alright heres the deal, I can get either of these, and mainly do dunes and railroad riding with a few jumps mixed in, I just got the deal on the 450 today and have to make up my mind, who thinks it would be worth it for me to get the 450? I am good with maintaining my bike, but in general can the valve train be expected to last long if the bike is not being ridden hard? As well how does the 450 compare to the 250 smoker in smaller jumps, say like 10 feet in the air or so?

Alright heres the deal, I can get either of these, and mainly do dunes and railroad riding with a few jumps mixed in

depending on the size of the jumps, the wr will do fine, but the yz is a mx bike and set up for jumping

by rail road riding do you mean kind of like fire roads? easy terrain high speed etc? if so the 450 would be superior.

I am good with maintaining my bike, but in general can the valve train be expected to last long if the bike is not being ridden

the valve train on the wr's is excellent, just keep the air filter clean, valves dont like dirt.

also oil changes every 5 hours and oil filter every 2 oil changes

As well how does the 450 compare to the 250 smoker in smaller jumps, say like 10 feet in the air or so?

the 450 will with out a doubt be heavier, but it depends on your style

depending on the size of the jumps, the wr will do fine, but the yz is a mx bike and set up for jumping

by rail road riding do you mean kind of like fire roads? easy terrain high speed etc? if so the 450 would be superior.

the valve train on the wr's is excellent, just keep the air filter clean, valves dont like dirt.

also oil changes every 5 hours and oil filter every 2 oil changes

the 450 will with out a doubt be heavier, but it depends on your style

change the oil every 5 hours, your crazy, i would have to carry oil on my while ridding

the smokers are easier to rebuild, but than again, they need to be rebuilt 5 times as often. on my 01WR 426, the headbolts have not even been removed. the only thing that i have done is change the oil and sparkplug. and other such maintance. ITS BULLETPROOF

Wow, total misinformation. 5 times? Where you running it without the airfilter? I just got 80 hours of hard riding out of my 03 kx250. So your saying you have close to 500 hours on your 426?

:confused::excuseme: :excuseme: :sweden::crazy:??:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:?

I would say rebuild a 250 2 times for every one rebuild on a 450.

250:

$125x2= $250

$250-who knows, + labor + downtime= more than a 2-stroke

Wow, total misinformation. 5 times? Where you running it without the airfilter? I just got 80 hours of hard riding out of my 03 kx250. So your saying you have close to 500 hours on your 426?

:excuseme: :excuseme: :sweden::crazy:??:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:??

I would say rebuild a 250 2 times for every one rebuild on a 450.

250:

$125x2= $250

$250-who knows, + labor + downtime= more than a 2-stroke

actually I wouldnt doubt it

My wr died from a freak thing, that was 7 years, I was 3rd owner, heaven knows how many hours were on it.

R.I.P Crankshaft.:confused:

0928071756.jpg

Well looks like i have a hard decision in front of me lol.

Just so you know the weight difference between the bikes are VERY noticeable. What bike do you ride now?

If you were saying you just wanted to do some trails, fire roads and stuff like that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the WR. But you want to do jumps, dunes, that kind of stuff, so just get the KX and be done with it. You wont regret it.:confused:

Question is easy, answer is very hard.

Me: struggling pro riding a 2006 WR450F, few mods, race and ride the snot out of it. Love the bike, have had issues, but most are results from racing the thing lots. Opinion: WR is best bang for buck for racing and trail riding, period. I have ridden EXC, CRF-X, etc, and that is my opinion.

Pros: Quiet, fast, fun, versatile, popular (lots of advice out there) Very decieving speed, as i pass modified bikes with this thing a LOT racing. GREAT 24hr bike! Very fast in corners!

Cons: Heavy, complicated, I think you have to be more of a stud - man to ride this thing hard, as it beats me up after long fast races. (I blame the weight)

Problem: I want a YZ250 very bad. Cheap to own, fun, fast, light and i think would fit me better, as I am kinda light for the WR, and obviously a wimp!

Well form the advice I have gotten here, I believe the WR would suit my riding style more, some dunes and smaller jumps, lots of fire road type riding and long distance rides, mainly the areas where the WR shines. It is a 4 stroke with a reliable motor and is a plus because I don't have to mix gas and the KX would really limit the range of my rides as I don't like carrying extra fuel with me. It is fairly heavy but I think I can handle it just fine I just sold my 230 and I really doubt there is that much weight difference between my old CRF230 and this WR450. Thanks for all the advice :confused: and by the way if I did MX or shorter rides I would pick the KX but I just can't justify the fuel economy, and another issue is that the only premix oil available in my town is formula 1 (cheap stuff) and would have to drive at least a hour and a half both ways to get some oil, to much hassle.