Advice on SM wheels

Looking for advice on going SM with my 03 DRZ duel sport.

Best price & place on SM wheel set up? Of course I'm looking for used also, any idea's on what wheels from other makes will cross over?

Thx for the help.

Lots of info on the forum if you search for it. Here's a quick summary.

1st: Check TT Classifieds. There's always some on there.

2nd: Check Ebay, but people bidding on ebay are (expletive deleted) and I've seen used wheels in good shape bid as high as $1200.

3rd: Many have made wheels from other bikes work, but unless you have access to a lathe to make your own custom wheel spacers and don't mind not having a speedometer (unless you get the Vapor Speedo) the "hooligan" mod, as its called, it probably more trouble then its worth. If you have the know how though, its the cheapest way. Search for "hooligan"

As a heads up from somebody who did months of searching. A fair price for OEM wheels used is about $800-950. They aren't as BLING as the excel/talons or better, but they will fit with zero hassle. New excel/talons can be had for about $1200 or so, but you will probably have to deal with adjusting the wheel offset for them to fit right. Not that big a deal, but a pain, nonetheless.

Another thing to think about it brakes. Do you want a second set of rotors to make swapping wheels that much easier?? Also, you'll need the SM speedo gear box for the correct speed with the smaller tires.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

I just bought a brand new set of wheels from www.radmfg.com for under $1000. They make their own hubs and lace up the wheels just like you want. If you're on the cheap and can deal with a slightly heavier hub, they have what you need. If you want to spend more, of course, you can get the lightest, cush drive hub...and more. Good company.

Lots of info on the forum if you search for it. Here's a quick summary.

1st: Check TT Classifieds. There's always some on there.

2nd: Check Ebay, but people bidding on ebay are (expletive deleted) and I've seen used wheels in good shape bid as high as $1200.

3rd: Many have made wheels from other bikes work, but unless you have access to a lathe to make your own custom wheel spacers and don't mind not having a speedometer (unless you get the Vapor Speedo) the "hooligan" mod, as its called, it probably more trouble then its worth. If you have the know how though, its the cheapest way. Search for "hooligan"

As a heads up from somebody who did months of searching. A fair price for OEM wheels used is about $800-950. They aren't as BLING as the excel/talons or better, but they will fit with zero hassle. New excel/talons can be had for about $1200 or so, but you will probably have to deal with adjusting the wheel offset for them to fit right. Not that big a deal, but a pain, nonetheless.

Another thing to think about it brakes. Do you want a second set of rotors to make swapping wheels that much easier?? Also, you'll need the SM speedo gear box for the correct speed with the smaller tires.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

+1 all the above I ended up with a set prepped by White bros Excel Talons