Sign in to follow this  

rmz seized help!!

Hey guys i have a stock 05 rmz 450 with 22 hours on it i bought it from a guy who drives commercially so that is why it has so few hours. Any how i was riding today when i experienced a 4 gear wot stuck pig squeal and the bike stopped suddenly. I run mobil 1 15-50 full synthetic i change it very often and the exhaust cam seized in head. It jumped time when this happened but no damage was done to the piston or valves. If you have any insight as to why this happened that would be great thanks, jimmy.

I have a buddy who had a similar thing happen to his 06. His cam chain guide on the valve cover came loose and rode the cam chain down to the crank gear. The bike jumped time and the piston smacked the exhaust valves and bent them. I am shocked that your piston was not damaged.

yeah it is strange it is also strange as to why it happened because if it was a lack of oil both the cams should be ruined

The cams run to tight in the RMZ's. People have honed out the bearing journal for extra clearance.

i have never heard of that, it just seems strange how some guys get so many hours out of these and i am good about maintenance

Well with the head on the bench i have measured the tolerances, compared to the suzuki manual. The cam is within spec(on the big side of tol.) and the head is on the small side of tolerance. The cam will not spin inside the head it is that tight. A new head sure is expensive for such a simple problem.

You used plastigauge? Measured the cam journals with a proper micrometer and the inside of the torqued bores with a dial bore gauge?

If the journals arn't scored have a good machine shop open them up a hair.

Try placing a .001" shim between the head and the cam cover, also make sure you don't overtighten the bolts.

Forgot to say in last post, use 10/40 oil, unless it's very hot where you are.

good info i measured my journals and i only have about .0005 which is not enough clearance for oil. I also talked to a guy at a local performance shop he stated that he had seen a few rmz cams seize up also. He added that he gives them a couple thousands more clearance and they seem to work. This is good news i guess. It still makes me very leary i have already gotten a new cylinder so i won't have to worry about it flaking, so after this it should be good to go.

good info i measured my journals and i only have about .0005 which is not enough clearance for oil. I also talked to a guy at a local performance shop he stated that he had seen a few rmz cams seize up also. He added that he gives them a couple thousands more clearance and they seem to work. This is good news i guess. It still makes me very leary i have already gotten a new cylinder so i won't have to worry about it flaking, so after this it should be good to go.

Yep, have them opened up for additional clearance and you should be good to go.