Older KX400

This probably belongs in the vintage area, but I'll try here first for more traffic.

Just curious about these. I like to tinker & rebuild older 2-strokes. I don't know anything about Kawasakis though and wanted some input about the bike. Good, bad, ugly? Decent handling or like piloting a sled? Quick or can't get out of it's own way?

Here's the ad. Pretty simple

1981 400cc KX dirt bike. $850

Thanks ~

JM

This probably belongs in the vintage area, but I'll try here first for more traffic.

Just curious about these. I like to tinker & rebuild older 2-strokes. I don't know anything about Kawasakis though and wanted some input about the bike. Good, bad, ugly? Decent handling or like piloting a sled? Quick or can't get out of it's own way?

Here's the ad. Pretty simple

Thanks ~

JM

In 1981 Kawi only made a KX420. Back then I raced a YZ465, and a CR450.

I dont recall ever seeing a Kawi on the track back then, however Kawi was getting their dirtbikes fairly well sorted out by the 80's so it was probably an OK bike.

Today however it would not be easy to get parts for that bike, due to the very limited production numbers.

As there was nothing special about the bike, it has limited value.

I second what Maico says on parts. "not easy" And $850 sounds high to me for that bike.

KX 420's and KDX 450's are nearly impossible to even find replacement pistons for... let alone cranks,clutch, and trans components... They werent really a disirable machine to begin with... For that kinda money, I would hold out for something a lil more popular if you plan to ride it alot...

Sounds like I'll be skipping this one. Thanks for the input guys!

JM

Too new for me. I'm looking for a pre 1975.