Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 Putting on fatter pro tapers

Im looking to put the fatter pro tapers on my DRZ400. I there a cheap way to do it? Do I have to buy the whole triple clamp assm.?

Cheap way is to get an adapter for them, it will raise the bars a bit as well. The correct way is to replace the upper triple clamp with one that will accept them.

Thanks....but why is it better to replace the whole triple clamp? I know it costs a lot more so whats the advatange? I just got off the phone with a bike shop that said they have a universal converter for fat bars for $40.

Thanks....but why is it better to replace the whole triple clamp? I know it costs a lot more so whats the advatange? I just got off the phone with a bike shop that said they have a universal converter for fat bars for $40.

Look at the way a universal adapter works. You have a set of bolts holding the lower clamp into the original lower clamp and then you have another set to hold the top clamp to the new lower clamp. Then you are stuck with them acting as bar risers if you want it or not. I feel there are just more parts to go wrong. Mind you I have a set on the wife's crf230 but she doesn't ride or crash as hard as I do. If you ride hard then do the job right, if you just putt around then the adapters do just fine.

The adapters will work just fine.

The RockyMountain ones only add 3/4" and take a huge beating.

I have bent bars and Cycra triple mounts and the 3/4" adapters are just fine.

hey, sorry to change the topic..anyone know how to raise the fat bars even more? An extension or something. I dont offroad, I mostly want to be more comfortable standing (japanese bikes are designed really for anyone over 6'1" or so it seems. I must be a lumbering giant in japan, hehe. kinda like state puff I suppose.

Bought Pro Taper Contour Oversize bars and Fly Racing Oversize mounts at Motorcycle-Superstore at a great price and they went on my DRZ 400sm pretty easily.

I had to buy different bolts and nuts and lock washers to replace what came with Fly mounts but that was just a trip to local hardware store.

I just did this 2 weeks ago and love it,stock bars too low while standing,hit a bump and feel like I was going to go over the bars.

They make a few diff size adapters(in height) plus you can get the bar in diff heights too.

The only thing that I had to mod was how the ign switch mounted.Other then that everything just bolts right up.I even got the big protaper mount cover to fit on.I will try to get some pic tonight.

I put 50mm Moose bar risers on mine. I'm 6'2"- standing is very comfortable now. You'll have to relocate the ignition switch.

I just did this 2 weeks ago and love it,stock bars too low while standing,hit a bump and feel like I was going to go over the bars.

They make a few diff size adapters(in height) plus you can get the bar in diff heights too.

The only thing that I had to mod was how the ign switch mounted.Other then that everything just bolts right up.I even got the big protaper mount cover to fit on.I will try to get some pic tonight.

fantastic I look forward to the pictures.

I went with Pro taper CR high bend fatbars with pro taper adapters. Looks great and definitely a improvement. With the pro taper adapters and the bars in forward setting it adds a lot of height compared to stock.

Drz2008003.jpg

Drz2008002.jpg

Drz2008004.jpg

Drz2008005.jpg