Sign in to follow this  

help me. running lean

I just got a new top end put in by my local dealer last week. since it was put in the bike runs great and all but when I pulled the plug it was white. it wasn't burnt white like the picture in my manual but it was white. It always used to be a nice tanned brown over the electrode but now its just white colored like it was never put in the bike. It has a br9es in it now but I think I will switch back t o the stock br8es. will this help ? weather is 48 degress at sea level. any help would be appreciated. bike is yz250

take a spray bottle with water, start the bike and let it idle. Then spray the water over the carb boots and the reed cage gaskets if the bike dies or idles wierd theres an air leak and you need re fit the boots or replace the reed gasket what ever it is good luck.

don't go to the 8 on the spark plug. an 8 is hotter than the 9. if you are already running lean this will only make it worse. Check your mix ratio. Also check to see if the power valve was reset properly. I did the topend on my cr and forgot to reset the HPP, was in a hurry to get out and ride. Ran great in the bottom end but the power fell off in the top. Pulled the plug and it was running lean.

You say you got a new topend, did the dealer screw something up? Wrong/bad gasket? didn't tighten bolts enough? Warped head? something along those lines.

take a spray bottle with water, start the bike and let it idle. Then spray the water over the carb boots and the reed cage gaskets if the bike dies or idles wierd theres an air leak and you need re fit the boots or replace the reed gasket what ever it is good luck.

i dont think its this, but for later, its better and more efficient to use starting fluid and spray it on the boot. if the idle goes up, well then you've got a leak.

.i would spray ether around the boot and see if rpm changes.......water not good

a little water won't hurt it. They suck in water through the atmosphere all of the time anyways