Sign in to follow this  

going to VP "Motorsport 105L"...

Due to the unavailabilty of premium pump fuel w/o ethanol (Amoco Premium) in and around my area, I have decided to switch to VP Racing Fuel - Motorsport 105L. This is their mild leaded fuel. Should I consider the unleaded version? I am making the switch b/c I do not trust ethanol (I have seen my Honda lawn mower (as well as my neighbors) begin to run like crap b/c of it. So, I have read here the lead will help the TI valves. Besides that, what else can I expect? I presume a slight performance boost (not why I am switching). Will I need to change my carb settings? As always, thanks for the experenced feedback. I thought of using aviation fuel, but I like the idea of having a few sealed 5 gal containers at the ready.

Chris

Richmond, VA

You could blend the VP with pump gas to cut your costs. What's a jug of VP run you?

There is a good "fuel" thread in progress in the CRF450R forum that will answer your question.

If you use unleaded VP they recommend using about 1oz. of premix to the gal. to lube the valves.

Ive raced for a few years on my TE510s with VP race fuel.

No issues at all. Over 4000 race miles and counting with the same valves, etc.

The higher octane allows the motor to run cooler. Love the smell. :confused:

The higher octane allows the motor to run cooler. Love the smell. :confused:

Which fuel "type"?

Thanks,

Chirs

Both red and orange, but mostly red. Very common to use this off road racing in places like Baja or Nevada. Highly recommended.

From past experience I would say unless your timing is adjusted you will lose some HP. Not much but it's a loss. The bad side many 100+ octane are a bit drier and have reduce lubrication as stated above. If you're worried about bad gas then blend 50/50 or even 60/40 (VP/pump) mix to be safe. Makes for one expensive ride??!

I ran 98 octane (pump gas mix) for my KTM 50 pro and it ran sooo much better and lasted longer before it overheated.

Sunoco Supreme (112) over 8 gram per gal lead 2 gal to 3 gal 91 will yeild 100 octane with 3.2 g lead per gallon for race. for play just go 1 to 3 will give96.25 with 2 gram per gal. This is the cheapest way to go. However the most important thing to remember is to only mix it as you use it do not mix up a 5 gal can then only use 2 gal and save it for next time. The pump gas will kill the benefits of race gas only takes a couple weeks. Race gas has no or little presertives in it reason for the high costs as it has to be shipped by truck or rail to be kept fresh. Reason for Sunoco Supreme formulated for Hi rpm endurance racing reason it works so well for dirt bikes Hi rpm all day long. Not Drags or quick 10-20 min motos. If you ride at altitude 4500 and up pump 91 works just fine 6000 and up pump regular. Your motor will like the doctoring of the gas. Later George

• Like 1

I run a CAM2 (Sunoco rebranded) 110 leaded mixed 50/50 with pump 93. Never had a problem, but I also have never had a problem when I've had to refuel on the trail with just pump gas.

I like George's post on it and he has seen the insides of a lot more Husky's than I have.

P.S. Cam 2 (sunoco race fuel) Is available 2 miles from my house at a self serve pump for $5.99 a gal. Not too bad, my diesel truck is $200.00 to fill at $4.00 a gal!

The higher octane allows the motor to run cooler. Love the smell. :excuseme:

yes yes .. the smell .. oh that wonderful race fuel smell. :confused:

yes yes .. the smell .. oh that wonderful race fuel smell. :confused:

I run it in my lawn mower just for the smell!