Sign in to follow this  

I want to become a parts dealer but....

I cant because i need a commercial location, or i have to deal all types of bikes.

Ive called every motorcycle manufacturor, and ive emailed at least 10 different companies.

i may be able to get parts from boyesen and maybe wiseco maybe. ANyone got any ideas of companies or CONECTIONS, maybe you can hook me up or get me on the dealer list or something??

thanks

They are just trying to protect their current dealers. Otherwise there would be thousands of dealers selling out of their basements or just buying things for their own use. Sometimes they require a yellow page ad and set retail hours.

Most retail or the selling of about any hard goods is so diluted from Mail order, E-bay, and big discount stores it must be really tough to make a profit.

Have you looked into becoming a web/mail order retailer? I'm completely in the dark as far as the operations end of it, would that type of parts dealer actually have to inventory the products sold?

Have you looked into becoming a web/mail order retailer? I'm completely in the dark as far as the operations end of it, would that type of parts dealer actually have to inventory the products sold?

If you're going to source from distributors, even if you mostly do mail order, they still want a storefront with the basics in stock and regular retailish business hours. And, more and more manufacturers that sell direct are asking for the same.

to become a dealer for our shop, you have to be a real dealer with some form of advertising saying your in the m/c business and you can't be an online store. that is what most distributers require. Like was said before they don't want to be selling to the guy that just wants stuff for his bike.

If you're going to source from distributors, even if you mostly do mail order, they still want a storefront with the basics. And, more and more manufacturers that sell direct are asking for the same.

That makes sense, as tenis24 said; to prevent every Joe Dirt from selling out of his basement or just scoring on deep personal discounts. In addition to the distributor knowing that they have a retailer that is committed and not just a fly-by-night jack of all trades...

Oh... And most distributors want an initial order of product. I haven't checked in a long time, but I'm guessing it's at least 5k or more.

Can't fault that policy...but that brings up yet another question. I'm guessing the initial order would typically be used as the retailer's storefront inventory?

I cant because i need a commercial location, or i have to deal all types of bikes.

Ive called every motorcycle manufacturor, and ive emailed at least 10 different companies.

i may be able to get parts from boyesen and maybe wiseco maybe. ANyone got any ideas of companies or CONECTIONS, maybe you can hook me up or get me on the dealer list or something??

thanks

Yes, you will need to set up with Parts Unlimited, Western Powersports and Tucker Rocky at minimum, there is others. These guys will not only require a buisness license, but an actual storefront (brick and mortar) and they do it to protect their existing dealer network. A guy with no store front selling from his apartment can really undercut a storefront. I dont think you need to be a bike dealer, but a bike/accessorie store. Does the location have to be commercial? Some zoning will allow you to run a business is a semi residential areas, but you will have to deal with parking, extra traffic etc, plus UPS, FED EX, DHL etc stopping buy daily, picking up and delivering etc. Also, these guys will also require you do do "X" amount of dollars before you will be added. So you have a minimum to sell. And if you sell larger volumes, you may get a lower price sheet also. Then you can expand into mail order, ebay etc. I'm sure they have reps they send out to confirm and periodically check to make sure you are legit. Good luck, let us know how it all works out.

Yes, you will need to set up with Parts Unlimited, Western Powersports and Tucker Rocky at minimum, there is others. These guys will not only require a buisness license, but an actual storefront (brick and mortar) and they do it to protect their existing dealer network. A guy with no store front selling from his apartment can really undercut a storefront. I dont think you need to be a bike dealer, but a bike/accessorie store. Does the location have to be commercial? Some zoning will allow you to run a business is a semi residential areas, but you will have to deal with parking, extra traffic etc, plus UPS, FED EX, DHL etc stopping buy daily, picking up and delivering etc. Also, these guys will also require you do do "X" amount of dollars before you will be added. So you have a minimum to sell. And if you sell larger volumes, you may get a lower price sheet also. Then you can expand into mail order, ebay etc. I'm sure they have reps they send out to confirm and periodically check to make sure you are legit. Good luck, let us know how it all works out.

Exactly. I have been looking into this for a while now. I originally wanted to become an online parts dealer and found everything out. I worked in a shop for a while and thought it would have been somewhat easy. But no way. I still haven't given up its just going to take me some time. Good luck!:confused:

It's a LOT harder than you might think to do anything in retail, whether you have a real store or work from home.

I wish you the best of luck. I've been in the auto parts business for 30 years, and I'm very good at managing other people's inventory and profitability. That being said, I'd be freaked out trying to start up my own business! Hope you do well.

does it really make sense to become a parts dealer right now? seems like the internet stores are killing the actual stores. they're so cheap and easy to use. plus the consumer market is crashing at the moment.