FYI, OHIO offroad title= bmv 3803

In case this has never been posted, Contrary to all the crap I was fed by the great state of Ohio, you do NOT need an inspection, to convert to a street title! Simply fill out and sign form: BMV 3803

Make sure you carry a copy of that form whenever you're riding on the street in case you're stopped by smokey.. That's the recommendation I've heard from guys running "street" bikes for the dual sport rides.

In case this has never been posted, Contrary to all the crap I was fed by the great state of Ohio, you do NOT need an inspection, to convert to a street title! Simply fill out and sign form: BMV 3803

It depends on what title office you go to. Some will let you sign the affidavit, but others will request the SHP inspection. My advice has always been to keep trying different title offices until you find the one who lets you sign the affidavit.

FYI, title offices are private businesses that are contracted to the state, not actual state offices, that's why you can play this game, and also why you run into title clerks that do not know what's going on if you live in an urban/suburban area where they don't see this sorta stuff on a regular basis.

Really? I didn't know that. Thankfully, the State Patrol told me there was simply a form to sign....wish he had told me the form #....he didn't even have the name of it right. 'Bout went nuts trying to find it. The title office had no clue, but found out later in the day, called me right after I had found it!

Does everyone actually put on turn signals?

I'm thinking brake light, horn, mirror, and callin' it done! And the DOT tires too, of course. The turn signals "were" included on the affidavit I signed.....but, is it reeeeeally necessary?

According to Ohio code, headlight, taillight, brake light, turn signals, mirror, and horn are required. I've yet to actually find DOT tires required in the Ohio code, but that doesn't mean you won't run into that issue if you get pulled over. As to what is on my bike, all I have are headlight and taillight and nothing else. I do NOT ride my bike on the street unless it is a dualsport or enduro though. In both of those situations, the clubs work with the local LEOs and you will not get pulled over if you are not committing a moving violation. I'm guessing if I took a cruise around my neighborhood, it would be a different story.

It depends on what title office you go to. Some will let you sign the affidavit, but others will request the SHP inspection.

That's what the local title office did to me. I paid $53 for an inspection certificate,(salvage and self assembled veh.) then when I called to see exactly what equipment I needed, he said " We haven't done those for years. You just need to sign a form at the title office"

So, they couldn't even DO the inspection, cuz they don't do 'em anymore. It's a small town, and the young girl had never heard of such a form. They've prob'ly never done one there. The office girl felt bad about me being out 53 bucks, but I told her not to worry about it.....it was a relief to have it taken care of so easily, finally!

Maybe it was 'cuz I felt guilty for signing the affidavit when I haven't even touched the electricals yet. ;o)

Now, I'm jumping thru' hoops trying to get my $53 back!!

http://bmv.ohio.gov/title/title_faq.htm

Scroll down to Q35, not sure what "proof of upgrade" is.

I asked for the form, signed it and got the title. No questions asked. That was an XR400, KTM supplies a "street" title.

to me signing that paper was like signing a million dollar contract....that's how happy it makes a guy IMG_3991.jpg

http://bmv.ohio.gov/title/title_faq.htm

Scroll down to Q35, not sure what "proof of upgrade" is.

apparently, just your signature on the affidavit, saying you did it. It's nice that they trust us....makes me feel a bit guilty that I'm only doing "some" of it.