Need help... Cross threaded head bolt.

My friend cross threaded his head bolt that goes into the cam cap. He can turn the bolt and it doesnt tighten. And you have to replace the assembly to get a new cam cap. So can he re tap it a size bigger and use a bigger bolt. Or put jp weld and let it harden and thread it. hrea

Sounds risky.

The bolt screws into the head so the cam carrage is still ok? May be a good excuse to replace the head. $335.00 from your local dealer. I think they are cheaper here on TT however I don't think they stock '07 or '08 heads.

The same thing kinda happened to me, except mine just broke off, get on ebay and search for crf250's or adrenaline cycle, they part bikes out, if you call him he will most likely have a set of cam caps to sell you, i think it was around 30 bucks

Sounds risky.

The bolt screws into the head so the cam carrage is still ok? May be a good excuse to replace the head. $335.00 from your local dealer. I think they are cheaper here on TT however I don't think they stock '07 or '08 heads.

Ok..I think I totally misunderstood the post.

Your friend cross-threaded the valve cover bolt?

Need to drill, tap and insert metric helicoil to match bolt size.

The head bolt that goes down and threads in the cam caps

That is the valve cover bolt.

Check out the current thread on the CRF450R forum regarding this same issue.

They are talking helicoil.

That is the valve cover bolt.

Check out the current thread on the CRF450R forum regarding this same issue.

They are talking helicoil.

These thread-repair gizzies are supposed to be better than Helicoils. Your 'friend' might want to investigate them:

http://www.timesert.com/

No personal experience, just word on the street.

JayC

Need to drill, tap and insert metric helicoil to match bolt size

That would work. Also I've saw a few floating around on ebay from parted out bikes.

same thing happned to my XR get the helicoil kit from napa it comes with the right tap and insert.:confused: