Sign in to follow this  

Whatever happened to the proposed expansion at Prairie City?

Has anyone heard anything? I remember reading something about it in the Sacramento Bee a while back.

Did it get swept under the carpet?

Has anyone heard anything? I remember reading something about it in the Sacramento Bee a while back.

Did it get swept under the carpet?

I spoke with Ranger Guzman about it two months ago. He said that the gravel company had the option to extend their lease till 2012. They did! So not much is going to happen for a while.

He also said that the county is looking at a plan to extend Whiterock Road straight through to Folsom Bidwell! If that happens, it would cut right through P.C. and that would most likely be the end of P.C.!!!

I kinda figured it would go this way.

Where is Folsom Bidwell? Are you talking about Folsom Boulevard? I was looking at Google Maps and I can't find one rational reason why there would be a need for a road to cut straight through Prairie City.

There is no Folsom Bidwell, he's either talking about Folsom Blvd or East Bidwell. In either case, I can't imagine how that would have any impact on PC, since PC is roughly south of White Rock Road and the Folsom area is north.

Once the proposed south of 50 build-out takes place, though, I wouldn't be surprised if PC is put in jeopardy. I can just imagine the folks buying homes out there and then complaining about dust and noise from PC.

Same thing happened decades ago in the Sunrise/American River area. Used to be way out in the boon docks with Levett Power Tool selling Yamahas and Hodakas out there. Now it's all homes and one little belt with a bike trail running through it. I remember thinking, what the hell are they building up this Highway 50 way out here in the middle of nowhere........

When did that build out happen? Seems like it would have been the 60's or 70's.

Early 70's. I bought my first dirtbike at 16 and could ride that portion of Sunrise between Greenback and Madison, both east and west side, chasing jack rabbits and cows. Then came Sunrise Mall..... Then Bird Cage...... The big boys rode the river's south shore with miles of trails between the river and the freeway 50. I went into the military and when I came home in 1979 it was all gone over to homes and development.

There is more land lost to dirt biking than most will ever realize. I know it wasn't meant to be ridden, but then we didn't destroy it since it was slated for development someday anyways. Makes me wonder; if an area is going to be developed anyway some day, then what's the harm of riding it for the 10 or 20 years prior to the development?

I went out to prairie last week to ride a round since it had been a while since I've been out there. After 15 minutes, I realized why I never go out there. BORING!

That place is good for a couple things;

setting up suspension. I'm always wanting to make adjustments but when I'm out riding woods, I'm just not finding time to hit a section of whoops a couple dozen times as I try different settings.

setting up jetting. Again, I just don't want to cut into my trail time to pull the carb and make jetting adjustments. Since PC is dull, I can go there and adjust things all day long.

My bad. Ranger Guzman was talking about Scott Rd. He said that it would ease traffic on that 90 degree corner on White Rock.I guess theres lots of accidents there.:excuseme: I really dont see it happening. If the county was concidering it, why would they be upgrading P.C. so much lately?:confused:

My bad. Ranger Guzman was talking about Scott Rd. He said that it would ease traffic on that 90 degree corner on White Rock.I guess theres lots of accidents there.:confused: I really dont see it happening. If the county was concidering it, why would they be upgrading P.C. so much lately?:confused:

Two things to know:

1. When it comes to our Tax Dollars at work....most of the time how (and how much) money is spent WON'T make sense. :crazy:

and

2. If you or I ran a business like Local Government, the State of Calif. or the Federal Government we'd be out of business (and held accountable) so fast it would make your head spin :excuseme::sweden:

Of course it could just be a case that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing:excuseme: :excuseme:

Of course it could just be a case that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing:excuseme: :confused:

This seems like a likely scenario. PC is a state run park, so unless the county directly communicates with the state about its plans, the two operate in relatively different worlds.

I went out to prairie last week to ride a round since it had been a while since I've been out there. After 15 minutes, I realized why I never go out there. BORING!

It's a good place for families to ride. A good place to teach your wife/girlfriend or kids to ride. It's wide open and relatively flat. The picnic tables and BBQ stands don't hurt either.

I ride the "trails" once every 2 or 3 years. Lately I haven't been riding tracks much, but when I do, I ride the Hangtown track about once a month.

There is no Folsom Bidwell, he's either talking about Folsom Blvd or East Bidwell. In either case, I can't imagine how that would have any impact on PC, since PC is roughly south of White Rock Road and the Folsom area is north.

Once the proposed south of 50 build-out takes place, though, I wouldn't be surprised if PC is put in jeopardy. I can just imagine the folks buying homes out there and then complaining about dust and noise from PC.

Actually, there is a Folsom Bidwell so to speak and it probably would help, ...and yeah, it might go through PC, but I think they could avoid that.

The White Rock/Grant Line route is a busy one and could use some help, as too it is dangerous. I see two spots of safety concern; the two 90 degree corners on White Rock west of the PC entrance and the intersection of Scott (aka Folsom Bidwell) and White Rock. Both are bad spots and both could use some attention.

Personally, I can't see PC being in that much jeopardy. The place is pretty important to the area, as too a new road could be build to the north side of the current riding area. Urban enchroachment could jeopardize the place a bit, but once again I think the City of Folsom wouldn't let it happen.

PC is a great place. Not much fun for me, but great for families and many others of different skill levels. As too the place has great recreation for other types of OHVs than cycles.

Actually, there is a Folsom Bidwell so to speak and it probably would help, ...and yeah, it might go through PC, but I think they could avoid that.

Are they calling Scott Road "Folsom Bidwell" now? Talk about a name that is sure to confuse folks.

Are they calling Scott Road "Folsom Bidwell" now? Talk about a name that is sure to confuse folks.

No. There is no Folsom Bidwell. Just Folsom an East Bidwell.

Sorry, Too much p*t back in the 70's.

SEE KIDS, DONT DO DRUGS...IT GIVES YOU DAIN BRAMAGE!!!

PC is a great place. Not much fun for me, but great for families and many others of different skill levels.

I agree bro. Those trails are perfect for drinking beer on. We should ride there together sometime.

Don't worry, I'll bring the beer. I figured we can both strap a Heineken mini keg on each of our backs.

It's a good place for families to ride. A good place to teach your wife/girlfriend or kids to ride. It's wide open and relatively flat. The picnic tables and BBQ stands don't hurt either.

I ride the "trails" once every 2 or 3 years. Lately I haven't been riding tracks much, but when I do, I ride the Hangtown track about once a month.

I agree. I'll be the first to admit the place sucks big time, but its still a place to ride and do as mentioned above. I work close by and can sneak over there after work and get in a quicky.

I agree bro. Those trails are perfect for drinking beer on. We should ride there together sometime.

Don't worry, I'll bring the beer. I figured we can both strap a Heineken mini keg on each of our backs.

Classic!! ...but I don't do Heineken, just Chimay man. I'll ride a quad as so we're real cool too; I can get lots of beer on that quad. It's a party.