DR650 Jet Kit

2003 DR650 1276 miles on the clockwhen I bought it a couple weeks ago

...well, now it's 1433.6 since the dual-sport ride last weekend

we live at about 1200 ft elevation....but just about all rides will increase the elevation from that point

hot & dry most of the time here in sunny Phoenix AZ

The bike ran really crisp when I got it, but now here at a lower elevation, it's not quite as good & it pops often on decel....it didn't do that much when I looked at it......

here's the bike at the start of our ride last Saturday:

100_0050.jpg

and just cuz I know that you are interested.....here's a few pics from the ride:

100_0079.jpg

100_0093.jpg

yep.....we're heading right up to that snow line & over the other side to head back down. it's starting to get real windy & a bit cold too:eek:

100_0115.jpg

MODS:

Airbox was cut by the PO & he had a couple of German Motorheads that work on BMW cars & bikes rejet it. Their elev was about 3200 feet and the bike it the CALIFORNIA MODEL.

The PO didn't know what the motorheads did to rejet, so I don't know if the carb only has a few different jets in it, or the full-tilt change with new needle & all. I'll need to open up the carb to find out before I buy anything.

FMF Exhaust...rear section only

The bike has been properly lowered to 8.7" travel by the dealer

The Shortie Kickstand

New RK O-Ring Chain

Full Knobbies all around

Since I got it, I added:

4.9 IMS Natural tank

TUSK Tank Bag

California Charcoal Cannister & all tubing removed & plugged (musta dropped 6 lbs. in the process)

DG Skidplate (needs to be mounted)

Pro-Taper HandleBars & Gel Grips

CYCRA HandProtection, but I'm switching to the ACERBIS with the integrated DOT Flashers as soon as they arrive

Smaller Rear Flashers

Ken Sean Mirrors

Guardian Bell

I also just got that nice rear rack on eBay for $70 and I bought the side protection to hang my rear bags over too. This stuff is really well made and they look great. I any of you are looking at these.....I highly recommend them!

I want to go back to the full height suspension. I'm just a short shit @ 5'9"...but my upbringing has been all dirt riding & racing, so I am very comfortable with the ground so far away. I want that extra suspension to fit my riding style. I have my sights set on a pair of forks, and the rear shock is a simple change. When I am done, my short forks will probably be available if anyone is looking.

so, my simple question is......but then, maybe it's not so simple:banghead:

I have been on the DRZ400 Forum for some time, but I am new to this DR650 list and I'm almost ready to place the order for the jet kit.

I have read.....and I have researched.....and I have read so much that my

tired old eyes are blurring!!

Anyway, I need to place an order with RockyMountainATV for some other stuff, and all they sell for this 2003 DR650 is the K&N Jet Kit:excuseme:

Yes, I know Jesse has & recommends the DynoJet, but my simple question is:

Is the K&N Jet Kit comparable???...........is it good to use instead of the DynoJet?

No need to kick off a great big detailed thread here as I know we all are after "the great needle"...........so, will K&N get me there:confused:

OR

should I just scratch that idea & call Jesse when I am ready.

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

HappyRiding !!

:confused::excuseme:

Snipage...

Yes, I know Jesse has & recommends the DynoJet, but my simple question is:

Is the K&N Jet Kit comparable???...........is it good to use instead of the DynoJet?

No need to kick off a great big detailed thread here as I know we all are after "the great needle"...........so, will K&N get me there:confused:

OR

should I just scratch that idea & call Jesse when I am ready.

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

HappyRiding !!

:excuseme: :excuseme:

K&N jet kit? News to me... news to the K&N site as well. The only products they show for the DR650 is two different filters... They list no jet kits of any type for any bike on their web site.... :confused:

K&N jet kit? News to me... news to the K&N site as well. The only products they show for the DR650 is two different filters... They list no jet kits of any type for any bike on their web site.... :confused:

Here's the info on the K&N Jet Kit:

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&vehicleId=2600&webTypeId=80&navTitle=Intake%2FFuel&webCatId=16&prodFamilyId=1128

K&N used to rebadge Power Commanders under their own name.......REALLY, they did:thumbsup:

(but they do not market them like that now having stopped several years ago).

Yes, I know there is not any info on the K&N Site, nor the DynoJet Site as it is no longer done......that's why I have come to this worldly collection of current AND past knowledge...........YES...that is all of us!!!:sweden:

So I just wonder if they did the same thing for Dyno Jet Kits too......after all, they are both part of the same company:thumbsup:

.....I'll bet that most of ya'll didn't know that now did you:confused:

HappyRiding !!

So what all does the DJ kit have in it? just a main jet?

That terrain is absolutely beautiful, something I can only dream about living up here in Ohio. Sorry I can't say either way since I am still working with stock jetting, I just needed to say how jealous I am.

Just get the DJ kit. At first I wasn't so happy as it wasn't pulling much if any faster than stock, only to find that I was on completely the wrong terrain, bitchumen. Once I hit the dirt I realised just how much of a difference it made, it pulls much harder off idle. I payed around $100 for mine but i'm in Australia and its definately worth the money. I normally live at around about 2000-2500ft and am running 155/dj needle 3rd clip/airbox cut and thats it. I pulled out from a friends driveway and thought right i'll clutch it and wheelie off in a blaze of glory only to find myself way too high in the air :confused: it was easily pulling the front up under power no clutch needed. Doesn't do that at home without at least leaning back a bit.

IMO a pipe is not worth it for the cost unless you wanna make more noise, everything i've read states the DJ kit gives you a much bigger gain than a pipe. You could do both but cutting the airbox and changing the jetting is the best bang for buck

edit: I just added a 14T sprocket on, I suggest lowering your gearing as well. Still sits at 120 happily, revs out to 170 give or take but it pulls smoother through each gear I no longer have to shift down to 4th accelerating from 80-120 in 5th without it bucking and causing excessive chain slap

Here's the info on the K&N Jet Kit:

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&vehicleId=2600&webTypeId=80&navTitle=Intake%2FFuel&webCatId=16&prodFamilyId=1128

K&N used to rebadge Power Commanders under their own name.......REALLY, they did:thumbsup:

(but they do not market them like that now having stopped several years ago).

Yes, I know there is not any info on the K&N Site, nor the DynoJet Site as it is no longer done......that's why I have come to this worldly collection of current AND past knowledge...........YES...that is all of us!!!:sweden:

So I just wonder if they did the same thing for Dyno Jet Kits too......after all, they are both part of the same company:thumbsup:

.....I'll bet that most of ya'll didn't know that now did you:confused:

HappyRiding !!

That K&N kit is certainly a rebadged DynoJet kit. Same needle that you could sew leather with... same number of main jets and the same stupid little washer that they want you to put "ON TOP" of the clip. LOL! That's a pretty good price at $49. Lists for $65.... I'd still buy it from Jesse. Just try and ask a question requiring any more the amebic intelegence levels from one of the high volume online parts stores. :confused: