pw50 allergic to water

any hints on what to repair or protect to keep a 06 pw50 from running right after ridden through very shallow water or even washing?

my sons pw does this every time it gets wet. it is hard to start and when you turn the throttle it acts like it is in start mode and just bogs.:confused::excuseme:

i let it idle and in about 45 minutes it dries out and runs good again.:crazy::p:lol:

its not like he dumped it, just riding through 4" of water will do it. i checked the air filter but it appeared barely wet :excuseme::sweden:

I think the exhaust is getting water in it since it is so low on the bike. This is probably considered "hard core" riding on a PW50:smirk: Nevertheless, irritating I'm sure.

You could actually affix a dbSnorkel (used for reducing noise) to the pipe and route it upward like you see on 4Runner's that go mudding.:confused: I would route this to breathe above the rear fender to enable fording the deepest rivers!:excuseme:

electrical? Doesnt this thing have an on/off switch that has 3 positions? on off and start. when its in start mode and you turn the throttle does it do the same thing as when wet?

Its been many years since Ive ever seen one of these, so Im a little foggy.

Unplug the white connector behinf the number plate, the wires go to the kill switch. Warning this will disable the start mode on the switch. IMO that's a good thing.

Good Luck!

This is likely caused by the plug cap getting wet. I have seen this 20x. Pull the cap off, unscrew it and rub some silicon around the wire the screw it back in. Next either get a new rubber waterproof grommet or apply a thin layer if silicon to the ceramic on the plug and plug it back in. Don't worry one small twist and it will come back off. This is common on the PW50. when it happens again take the plug cap off, dump the water out and blow the cap out.

it will do this also if the white connector get wet, but not all models have the white plug. You can wrap it in large heat shrink tubing if you still need the start option.

electrical? Doesnt this thing have an on/off switch that has 3 positions? on off and start. when its in start mode and you turn the throttle does it do the same thing as when wet?

yes, exactly. after wetting when i switch it to run it still acts like it is in the start mode. you twist throttle but it bogs instead of revs....

This is likely caused by the plug cap getting wet. I have seen this 20x. Pull the cap off, unscrew it and rub some silicon around the wire the screw it back in. Next either get a new rubber waterproof grommet or apply a thin layer if silicon to the ceramic on the plug and plug it back in. Don't worry one small twist and it will come back off. This is common on the PW50. when it happens again take the plug cap off, dump the water out and blow the cap out.

it will do this also if the white connector get wet, but not all models have the white plug. You can wrap it in large heat shrink tubing if you still need the start option.

this was my first guess since it seemed like a short or fowling. i idled and pulled the plug cap (no silicon by the way) and watched it fire across. yes i did get a little jolt but nothing like a car arching across your body...:excuseme: :excuseme:

i will add the elec. type silicone i use on all my other plugs as you recommend.:confused:

I think the exhaust is getting water in it since it is so low on the bike. This is probably considered "hard core" riding on a PW50:smirk: Nevertheless, irritating I'm sure.

You could actually affix a dbSnorkel (used for reducing noise) to the pipe and route it upward like you see on 4Runner's that go mudding.:confused: I would route this to breathe above the rear fender to enable fording the deepest rivers!:excuseme:

:excuseme::sweden: snorkel.....

Unplug the white connector behinf the number plate, the wires go to the kill switch. Warning this will disable the start mode on the switch. IMO that's a good thing.

Good Luck!

i will make sure this connector is waterproofed:thumbsup:

thanks for all the great replies.

i love this site.:confused:

i added the diaelectric silicone to both the switch behind the plate and the spark plug cap and it worked. he ran it through water a few times and never a issue.

thanks.