Fork Identification - 2004 RM250 - Pictures

Someone thought that these forks could be 03 or older not 04 like the actual bike. The 2004 RM250 is meant to have 47mm showa's i think? If anyone could back this up with info on what year/type these forks are that would be appreciated... heres the pictures of them...

P3190339.jpg

P3190337.jpg

P3190351.jpg

Thanks in advanced!

that's a 46mm Kayaba fork

that's a 46mm Kayaba fork

So at some stage the forks have been switched around? Or did some 04 RM250's come out with these? If they have been switched around, then what can you tell me about these forks, are they a lot worse than the showa 47mm forks?

Any info appreciated cheers

some years of the rm 250 came with kybs, the 125 always had the showas, just check the lower legs to see if they are 48mm or 46.

The 2003 RM250 came with the 46mm KYB forks. Are you sure the bike is a 2004? Another thought might be that the previous owner had had the KYB forks re-sprung and re-valved and liked the way they felt so he transferred the forks and triple clamps to the 04?

The 2003 RM250 came with the 46mm KYB forks. Are you sure the bike is a 2004? Another thought might be that the previous owner had had the KYB forks re-sprung and re-valved and liked the way they felt so he transferred the forks and triple clamps to the 04?

I'm pretty sure it's an 04, according to the number (serial number?) on the frame it's an 04 model. Someone told me that if i count 10 numbers along and that 10th number is 4 then its a 2004. And thats what it says.

Do you know of any advantages or disadvantages of this fork compared to having the 47mm showa? cheers

Michael,

If for any reason you are not satisfied with the way the forks feel / perform for you, I’m sure any good suspension tuner in your area would be able to steer you in the right direction. The 46mm KYB forks are not a twin chamber design like the 47mm Showa’s or the 48mm KYB SSS style forks on the newer YZ’s. The KYB forks on your bike can be made to perform pretty well with the correct springs for your weight and possibly a re-valve. Maybe the previous owner has already had some work done to these forks? This style of fork also responds well to the addition of sub-tanks.

Michael,

If for any reason you are not satisfied with the way the forks feel / perform for you, I’m sure any good suspension tuner in your area would be able to steer you in the right direction. The 46mm KYB forks are not a twin chamber design like the 47mm Showa’s or the 48mm KYB SSS style forks on the newer YZ’s. The KYB forks on your bike can be made to perform pretty well with the correct springs for your weight and possibly a re-valve. Maybe the previous owner has already had some work done to these forks? This style of fork also responds well to the addition of sub-tanks.

Thanks for the information mate