Sign in to follow this  

Removing shock on 08 TE450

I loosened all the bolts and went to remove the shock, but found that the reservoir hangs up on the motor and there is no way to angle it out. Do I have to remove the airbox to get it out? Sorry if the answer is obvious but this is the first shock I've ever tried to remove.

My plan is to send that and the forks to Precision Concepts to have them set up properly for a 120 lb rider. If anybody has any other suspension-related advice, feel free to pile it on me. Basically, the bike is so stiff it put me on the ground about a half dozen times on my last trail ride. It's harder to ride than my DRZ in its current "hovercraft/no traction/I hate you" mode.

Zina

I loosened all the bolts and went to remove the shock, but found that the reservoir hangs up on the motor and there is no way to angle it out. Do I have to remove the airbox to get it out? Sorry if the answer is obvious but this is the first shock I've ever tried to remove.

My plan is to send that and the forks to Precision Concepts to have them set up properly for a 120 lb rider. If anybody has any other suspension-related advice, feel free to pile it on me. Basically, the bike is so stiff it put me on the ground about a half dozen times on my last trail ride. It's harder to ride than my DRZ in its current "hovercraft/no traction/I hate you" mode.

Zina

if its anything like the 2007 model, the easiest thing is to undo the two lower subframe mounts and rotate the subframe up (loosen the airbox seal onto the carb ) and the whole lot moves out of the way fro you to pull the shock.

theres probably a quicker way maybe but that works for me:thumbsup:

It might be just easier to take off the whole subframe and disconnect the carb boot with it.

I had this last week and found the best way to take off the subframe. All the wires are a pain to discconnect tho.

Thanks for the info and sorry for the late reply. For some reason I didn't get the email notification of responses to my post so I thought no one had any comments.

It did end up being a PITA of a job. I loosened the airbox and the rubber boot, but left the subframe in place. It turned out that if I had someone hike up the rear wheel, I had just enough room to swing out the piece that was seriously impeding the shock's exit path.

http://www.ducatigirl.com/inventory/te450_shockremoval.jpg

Zina

• Like 1

Take the tire and whole swingarm out. that way you can lube the swingarm correctly while you are in there.

120lbs? that is light!

Her name is Zina and she seems pretty cool to me.

120lbs? that is light!

Yeah, 120 is not so bad on a female. If I were a guy and weighed that little I'd have my face under a soft ice cream machine until I put on at least 40. Then maybe my suspension wouldn't suck so much.

Speaking about sucking, is anybody getting a properly lubed Husky? The bearings devoid of grease sure look pretty, but I don't think pretty is what we want here.

http://www.ducatigirl.com/inventory/te450_suspension_bearings.jpg

Zina

Oh great. I only dropped the dog bone linkage to check that it was greased and figured they all had grease. Looks like I better check em all.

Speaking about sucking, is anybody getting a properly lubed Husky? The bearings devoid of grease sure look pretty, but I don't think pretty is what we want here.

http://www.ducatigirl.com/inventory/te450_suspension_bearings.jpg

Zina

Yuck!

Reminder - greasing the linkage using the zerk fittings does not get the grease everywhere it needs to be. Zerks are handy for in between rear linkage re-greasings but not a substitute for taking things apart.