Clarke gas cap

I figured it was only right to post a message regarding a positive outcome dealing with a company, since I would have bitched about it if had not worked out in my best interest.

I bought a new Clarke 3.9 gallon tank last year and a couple of weeks ago while riding out in Death Valley the top of the gas cap started to split and leak all over the tank:

CIMG0697.jpg

I sent an email to Clarke about it and they said they'd replace it if it was still under the 6 month warranty period. I emailed a copy of the TT invoice to them showing that the tank was a few days beyond the 6 month warranty period.

Yesterday I received a brand spanking new cap (which looks to be a much better cap than the one it's replacing, particularly in the area where the original cap split) for no charge.

I justed wanted to say thanks to Clarke publicly and let everyone else know about my experience with them. :confused:

A bonus... I now have a back-up rubber gasket off the old cap just in case.

Good to hear of positive experiences:thumbsup:

how does your seat sit on the clarke tank? i heard rumors that the seat does not sit correctly on the tank?

true or not?

my stock seat fit fine (I know; technically you weren't asking me)

I got an aftermarket seat from TT, and with the clarke tank, it fits fine, but the cover does have a bit of a "pucker" to it

Ok you can laugh at me if you wish, but on extended trips I use a tank bag. Of course I also need my Clarke tank on long trips. Anyone have a line on a replacement cap that fits aftermarket Clarke tanks? Obviously I am interested in an alternative vent arrangement and not bling.

Help me keep my tank purse please.

Oh yea, Clarke took care of my leaky KLX tank smoothly. Like you I was out of warranty and I still got a new tank. Sure the tank was defective, but still they could have told me to pay up for a new one.

Tusk makes an aluminium cap anodised in your choice of colours.

XR 650 caps fit. I think it is a standard thread pitch so I am guessing most aftermarket would fit.

I sorted the seal/gasket on mine. So I haven't bothered with bling. Maybe next time I need to order something.

Ok you can laugh at me if you wish, but on extended trips I use a tank bag. Of course I also need my Clarke tank on long trips. Anyone have a line on a replacement cap that fits aftermarket Clarke tanks?

Discussed on here many times, get the Honda XR cap from Ron Ayers for $17. It's the one that fits all the XR models (80, 100, 200, 250, 600 and 650) from 1984 to present. Honda part number 17620-KT1-780.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602211

I also had a split in the original Clarke cap, and they sent me a new (somewhat better) one. The problem I and others have is that gasket...it leaks and gets gas on my tank bag. The Honda cap has worked like a charm. :confused:

Great to hear Clarke stepped up to help you out. Unless they changed the design significantly your new cap will likely go the same route as the older one. We went through 4 of them for our other bikes before I said enough. They cracked like the one in your picture, or the vent nipple broke off.

We switched to the metal Tusk cap from RM. They do look trick, come in an assortment of colors, fit the Clarke tanks well, and have proven to be very durable in two years of racing. Unfortunately the durability comes at a premium: they are a fairly heavy item.

how does your seat sit on the clarke tank? i heard rumors that the seat does not sit correctly on the tank?

true or not?

If sits as it did on the original tank. The only difference is a little play from left to right, no more than 1/8" or so.

Discussed on here many times, get the Honda XR cap from Ron Ayers for $17. It's the one that fits all the XR models (80, 100, 200, 250, 600 and 650) from 1984 to present. Honda part number 17620-KT1-780.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602211

I also had a split in the original Clarke cap, and they sent me a new (somewhat better) one. The problem I and others have is that gasket...it leaks and gets gas on my tank bag. The Honda cap has worked like a charm. :confused:

Is this the rubber gasket that is failing? I haven't had that problem yet. I kept the old gasket for a back-up because I had read about gasket problems, just wasn't sure if the failing gaskets were the same material as the one I kept. I figure sometime down the road I'll be picking up the XR cap... I postponed that day if nothing else.

The only pictures of the Honda cap I could find indicate that it uses the exact same venting arrangement as the Clarke ones. Other ideas?

Because of what I learned from this forum I ordered a XR gas cap at the same time as the tank. I took the Clarke gas cap out of the box and threw it away.

Is this the rubber gasket that is failing? I haven't had that problem yet. I kept the old gasket for a back-up because I had read about gasket problems, just wasn't sure if the failing gaskets were the same material as the one I kept. I figure sometime down the road I'll be picking up the XR cap... I postponed that day if nothing else.

That's it Mine went in about a year. Clarke wanted $5 for it and $7 to ship. I went to the auto store and bought some fuel safe gasket made a doughnut and theninstalled it with fuel safe sealant. $10. It has been good for about a year and a half so far.

As for the vent I bought a line with a valve from tusk. Again anodised in your choice of colours. No more gas smell in the garage. Check it occasionally though. I just pushed my DRZ 2 miles spnet an afternoon troubleshooting to find the valve siezed. 1 whack on the bench and some WD40 good as new.

How about fitting clarke tank with the lockable cap off an XR400 SM???

Would it fit? Might visit a honda dealer and have a poke around

SA2T1742.jpg

I got that pic off a thread in the XR forum