Freestyle MX TIPS

Hey I was looking for some tips on tricks.

ME N my buddy are make a custom freesyle jump out of plywood and metal tubing and i was wondering if you had any tips on that too. And also if you had any pictures of how to build a freestyle jump.

Thanks

probably the best tip would be to not use plywood.

aussie comp ramp

aussiecompbj9.jpg

rev.1

rev1wi3.jpg

landing

landingvr4.jpg

:confused: Why would you post ramp plans to someone who may not be ready for it???

So at least they know where to find it when they are ready for it...........Common sense goes a long way my friend......

Why wouldn't i use plywood

why wouldn't i use plywood

you could use wood but you just want to have a good grippy surface on there like expanded metal or textured paint type deal

why wouldn't i use plywood

Because plywood rots. And often on the inside of a ramp (where sunlight cant dry any moisture) before the surface. I think that is self explanitory but just incase you dont understand.

"you start jumping plywood ramp, all is well. It rains and moisture gets in the wood. Surface dries but the underneath supports does not, now after a while the wood rots and becomes week, or you can get termites for all it matters. But you go to hit said plywood ramp again after the rotting or eating away and guess what, you eat shit because the supports give out"

I had a buddy with a rev 1 and he used plywood for the face, then mixed silicon with the paint for a texture on the face, but it was slick as hell with any kind of moisture. It also needed re painted and re textured all the time.

I have a metal frame ramp with plywood surface, it tookyears for the wood to rot, but I also have expanded metal on the face for traction. I also had a full wood ramp with no problems. Just check it before you ride each time. also use expanded metal, none of that textured paint crap. It still will slip if wet. I have hit a tone of ramps and the expanded metal is the way to go for sure.

:confused: Why would you post ramp plans to someone who may not be ready for it???

he asked if anyone had any pics of how to build a ramp

better off him not being ready for it but using the right ramps then not being ready for it and using a whacked up ramp that's gonna get him killed...

yeah I am going to have to agree with everyone if you are going to build a ramp. you should definately know how to build the correct ramp, instead of guessing and making some crazy transition for your first ramp. as far as using plywood go to lowes or your local builders supply and buy a roll of tough gaurd ice and water shield. it is a rolled roofing type of material that has a sticky bottom and a grippy top layer. two layers of this and you should be fine.

that's part of being young. We made a ramp out of whatever we could get our hands on around the house. you learn your lesson after awhile.

yeah I am going to have to agree with everyone if you are going to build a ramp. you should definately know how to build the correct ramp, instead of guessing and making some crazy transition for your first ramp. as far as using plywood go to lowes or your local builders supply and buy a roll of tough gaurd ice and water shield. it is a rolled roofing type of material that has a sticky bottom and a grippy top layer. two layers of this and you should be fine.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That will cost you, Your tires will eat that stuff in no time.

plus if it gets wet it does get slipery, I know first hand. Use expanded metal. Period.

what is expanded metal:confused:

I used plywood on my ramps for probably 3 years. Never a problem. Not to say metal wouldn't be better. I eventually went to sheet metal with expanded metal over it.

If you go with plywood use treated 3/4". Lowe's has non-skid garage floor paint. It works awesome.

Google "expanded metal"