Bike Smoking after did valve clearing and oil change!!!

OK before i get creamed, I used the search function first and came accross 1 thread of interest but didnt see anything that I thought would be my case.

1.) So I did my valves clearance and changed my oil at the same time the other day, now my bike smokes when I cold start it. Can somebody tell me what the problem is.

The bike ran fine before this maintenance.

What year and what model?

Any valve noises?

Not to insult but did you do the valve clearences properly? Not accidentally swap values and do exhaust clearance on intake valves and vice versa?

its a 2006 650L, it cool dude, I'm no mechanic, just a tinkerer, I had to ask for help on this forum to do the valve clearance job. I put the intake valves (the rear ones) to .10mm and the exhaust (front two) to .12mm.

a little more than 2 quarts, I bought a 4 quart container of the honda oil and the oil at this moment is about 2 cm below the 2 qt mark, so prolly arond 2.3 qts.

could I have put too much oil in it, I know it only suppose to take 2qt but the oil didnt get to the oil dipstick filled mark until I put that much in it.

just checked my airbox and there seems to be no other oil than the filter stuff.

I have to go pick up my kids will check back and answer all questions in a few hours, I really appreciate alll yalls help.

Oh yeah and to make things worse I left the ignition on since saturday or sunday and now my battery is dead, you think putting it on a motorcycle battery charger will bring it back to life, of should I just get another.

bump start that bad boy and let r run till she gets warm (5-10 mins) and check your oil, make sure thats good first. Then when you know its good to go take it out and ride it for a while to get it charged up, dont hook it up to a large battery charger, i used my 6A old ass car charger and as soon as i hooked it up it went way up on voltage, to like 15.5 volts which is way to high to charge a battery at, 14.5 is about the max you want to charge at.

I've had a similar problem since I rebuilt my 650L. I posted a few times to find the answers and lots of good stuff came in but nothing that worked so I started on the problem with a clear mind. Checked the oil after the bike sat for a few days, none showed on the dipstick. Started it cold, smoked like a bitch but otherwise runs perfect. Smoking stops when warm and doesn't do it again for the whole day of riding. So, something was letting the oil drain back into the engine. I pulled the oil pump off and apart, there is a check valve with a small spring in there. I stretched the spring just a tiny bit, cleaned up everything and put it back together. Now the oil level only goes down 1/4 inch or so after sitting overnight and no smoke on startup.

• Like 1

I've had a similar problem since I rebuilt my 650L. I posted a few times to find the answers and lots of good stuff came in but nothing that worked so I started on the problem with a clear mind. Checked the oil after the bike sat for a few days, none showed on the dipstick. Started it cold, smoked like a bitch but otherwise runs perfect. Smoking stops when warm and doesn't do it again for the whole day of riding. So, something was letting the oil drain back into the engine. I pulled the oil pump off and apart, there is a check valve with a small spring in there. I stretched the spring just a tiny bit, cleaned up everything and put it back together. Now the oil level only goes down 1/4 inch or so after sitting overnight and no smoke on startup.

Thanks partner, I'll try that as soon as i can get this bike runnin again.

so I got the bike running this morning by push starting it, and I brought it to my garage to let it idle for about 30 minutes, while it was idleing (garage door up of course) i went inside to eat breakfast. when i went to the garage the bike had light white smoke coming off of it and smelled like oil burning, could this be because I overfilled it and there was no air circulation in the garage. There was also a slight oil drip that was landing on tghe ground directly under the oil fill tube, but I couldnt find where exactly it was dripping from. Please Help.

so I got the bike running this morning by push starting it, and I brought it to my garage to let it idle for about 30 minutes, while it was idleing (garage door up of course) i went inside to eat breakfast. when i went to the garage the bike had light white smoke coming off of it and smelled like oil burning, could this be because I overfilled it and there was no air circulation in the garage. There was also a slight oil drip that was landing on tghe ground directly under the oil fill tube, but I couldnt find where exactly it was dripping from. Please Help.

Coming off it, like the motor?? I almost always spill oil when refilling, trying to cram too much in before running. It runs down the frame ond onto the motor.

Maybe the thing got so hot without any air moving that something near the motor started burning? The clutch cable runs pretty close to the cylinder. It's only air cooled with air moving over the cooling fins. If you're gonna do that at least put a fan on the motor.

If you let it sit and idle that long, you MIGHT have overheated it. Just a slight possibility. If you happened to spill any oil filling, it might just be that.

Dont let these things sit and run that long without some airflow.

When I broke in my hotcam(2000 rpm for 20 min) I setup a large shop fan in front of the engine to help keep it cool.