Sign in to follow this  

first time starting motor

. i am soon to be getting my motor in the mail, being that it more than likely has been upside down for the majority of the trip . what is the first thing i should do prior to starting the motor? etc, oil change,or anything else?

1 Change the oil I recommend using (Non Synthetic) Only

2 put in proper recommended Levels

3 Heat cycle motor at least 2 times before actual Ride

(Bring to proper opereating temp and then let completely cool under no more than 1/4 throttle revs)

4 I change my oil (before the actual ride and after) but you can re-check the level and ride shifting smoothly and not using more than 3/4 throttle for an hour

5 let cool, I then re-torque my head bolts and adjust my valves

6 after about another hour or so I have at it using full throttle (respecting conditions)

Very good advice there! but you forgot

7. Whip up on you buddies rides!!!

Very good advice there! but you forgot

7. Whip up on you buddies rides!!!

I was hopeing he could figure that on his own....:confused: Hahahahaha

1 Change the oil I recommend using (Non Synthetic) Only

2 put in proper recommended Levels

3 Heat cycle motor at least 2 times before actual Ride

(Bring to proper opereating temp and then let completely cool under no more than 1/4 throttle revs)

4 I change my oil (before the actual ride and after) but you can re-check the level and ride shifting smoothly and not using more than 3/4 throttle for an hour

5 let cool, I then re-torque my head bolts and adjust my valves

6 after about another hour or so I have at it using full throttle (respecting conditions)

thank you for all your great input... when you say re torque, do you mean tighten the engine bolts? and how do i adjust my valves? im sorry for the 21 q's just never had to do any of that with my kx80 or maybe just never cared lol

thank you for all your great input... when you say re torque, do you mean tighten the engine bolts? and how do i adjust my valves? im sorry for the 21 q's just never had to do any of that with my kx80 or maybe just never cared lol

Re-Torque the (Head bolts) and should be periodicly checked throught its life...IMO

Torque Specs:

Refer to an approved Honda CRf50 manual for all the torque specs. Carefully following torque specifications is important.

i thought adjusting the valves were hard but that looked simple enough with the right tools

i thought adjusting the valves were hard but that looked simple enough with the right tools

Everything in life works better if your equipped with the right Tool .....:confused:

Re-Torque the (Head bolts) and should be periodicly checked throught its life...IMO

Torque Specs:

Refer to an approved Honda CRf50 manual for all the torque specs. Carefully following torque specifications is important.

how wouldi get my hands on a crf50 spefications handook anyways?