Wrong chain gaurd case saver??

Many knowlegable folks out there, William1 likely pointed out my problem on 2004-DRZ400E; I changed front sproket f/14 to 15 teeth - replaced cover - chain scrapes inside. It was noted that the case saver (metalic item attaches under & with cover) has the number 14 on it - Its suggested I need one with number 15 pressed into it (made for the S model) -I wanted it asap yet ThumperTalk store dosen't carry it for this bike - anyone know where I can get one?

Any of the online dealers such as Ron Ayers, Temecula Motorsports, etc., or your local shop. Or I would guess you could take a dremel and file and adjust yours.

Quick will be a matter of luck if a dealer has it in stock. For such inexpensive item, internet ordering is probaly going to double the cost with shipping.

Just take it off. Haven't riden with one since 2002 due to dirt and mud clogging up in it. There are also aftermarket ones that are vented.

Suzuki made two different case savers. I think (Eddie or Bronco will correct me if my Ass-Um-ption is incorrect) but I think the early DRZ's had the one marked 14T. At some point the DRZ got a 15T CS and so Suzuki made the case save larger and did not mark it. Now, if you ever order one, no matter the year, I believe you will always get the new version.

Fitting a 16T CS takes a little work on a SM, more on a S/E due to the different swingarm and chain guide. On a SM, you can wiggle, lightly force the sprocket on. The teeth will slightly cut into the chain guide during running. A S/E require some manual trimming (not much) of the chain guide to get it on. Be sure to loctite the splines on the sprocket! Torque the big nut, bend over the tab. You need to grind the case saver about 1/10". Install the case saver, make sure it clears the rollers. You want to grind the minimum amount needed to fit without touch the chain. If you chain is well lubed, you should not see any signs of contact.

Be wary of 16T CS sprockets. They are not all the same. Some sprockets, notably the el cheapo's, have pointed teeth, and accordingly, a larger major diameter. Well made ones typically do not and have a smaller major diameter. The extra bit of metal that makes the teeth pointed on the cheap sprockets will prevent a good and easy fitting. The Driven one is a excellent product.

William nailed it .. nuff said