Another fuel screw question.

I'm doing the 3x3 mod to my SM and I just ordered the JD jet kit a few days ago. Now after reading some more posts I'm thinking I should have ordered the fuel screw too. (The bikes I've had before never needed an aftermarket part to adjust the carb.) Anyway, is the fuel screw really necessary to adjust the fuel-air mix? Should I order one before I take it apart? I've done searches on the subject and haven't found any solid answers.

An extended fuel screw just makes it a lot easier to test/adjust your pilot circuit w/ the carb on the bike. The oem screw in the Mikuni is recessed, and blocked w/ a brass plug to keep you from accessing it (tamper proof). W/o an extended screw, it would be much harder to adjust. W/ the extended fuel screw, you simply turn it w/ your thumb and finger. The Kientech screw is $14 or so. It's kind of a no brainer to have it. Personally, I'd hate to try and test my pilot jet w/ the oem screw. That might take awhile. W/ the extended version, it takes about a minute or two to determine what you need to do.

A bit of brass tubing, a small screw, and some epoxy and you can make your own. It would be just the right length too:thumbsup:

Who said it was the wrong length? Sorry, had to do it. Thanks for the tips.

Who said it was the wrong length? Sorry, had to do it. Thanks for the tips.

bronco had one so I personally saw the interference it had with the starter, so there are at least two of us who have seen it. Go ahead and spend $15 on a part you can make for pennies:excuseme:

bronco had one so I personally saw the interference it had with the starter, so there are at least two of us who have seen it. Go ahead and spend $15 on a part you can make for pennies:excuseme:

I ordered my kit today along with the fuel screw. Now I see this post and realize I could have made the extended adjuster and saved the money. I hate wasting money.......

I ordered my kit today along with the fuel screw. Now I see this post and realize I could have made the extended adjuster and saved the money. I hate wasting money.......

It's $14. It's very highly unlikely that it will change the course of your life for better or worse. If you ordered the Kientech, you'll be well pleased. It's a very nice item. :confused: