Starter Questions

I'm having some issues with my bike. It all started after I stupidly let it idle for about 15 minutes or so while it was already at operating temp. Then I rode it about 3 miles at 60mph or so and it died.

It'll start, but won't idle and runs poorly at low rpms, but fine when you rev it up. It'll stall when you try to get it to idle. My question is, when it does die, you hear the starter turn over. Is that normal? I'm thinking my issue might be that the starter armature might be stuck out so the starter is spinning the whole time creating drag on the motor hence the stalling. I know its not carb issues as that is what I first suspected, it almost felt as if the pilot circuit fell out. But, I took it apart and everything looked good and I gave it a thorough cleaning.

Any thoughts? Oh yeah, its a 05 SM

It's not a chevy,,, the starter does not have a solenoid actuated gear that moves out under starting current.

From what you have posed, I'm not seeing A+B=C:excuseme:

Letting it idle, may have cause it to overheat a bit and puke some coolant.... but I don’t not see a connection to it dying while riding, unless you left some info out... By chance are you close to Denver? If so, Call OTD of Denver, ask for Eddie, see if he has time to look at the bike.

Did it overheat? Blow coolant?

As for the starter, it has a over-running sprag clutch. Running or not, it will not drag the engine down unless the over-running clutch is frozen up. In which case the starter would be exploded by now. If the starter is running constantly, look for the problem at the button, starter relay or melted wires causing it to operate.

It's got an e-tank on it so no vacuum petcock.

I'm not saying that the long idle caused the problems, that was just the sequence of events. Yeah, I know Eddie, he dynoed the bike a couple months ago. Seeing if it isn't something I cant fix first. I was mainly just wondering if it was normal for the starter to spin over when it dies.

alright, thanks for the help. I'm at a loss on this one. Eddie, you have any openings coming up to bring it in? I could drop it off this saturday. Turn around time is not much of an issue, you can keep it as long as it takes.

Thanks Eddie,

I'll probably bring it down this Saturday. I ran it again last night and there is some weird noises coming from the motor, so I changed the oil to make sure there weren't any metal shavings in there, and there wasn't, it looked clean, but I'm not sure what it is, I'd rather have a pro like you take a look at it so I don't cause any major engine damage if there isn't already.

-also while its down there I'd like to have you tune it. It was running rich when we dynoed it and since your looking at it anyways might as well have you make your magic touch on it.