Sign in to follow this  

Newbie KLX owner, need suggestions...

Hello all, I just purchased an '07 300R and I'm ready to make it better. I have read many posts and have a few questions.

Will the FSW Header pipe work on a '07? I only see it listed up to '06.

Are the gains worth it to replace the stock muffler with an aftermarket or just keep the stock muffler and modify it?

I noticed the PlanetKLX site is down, anyone have any other links or info on the "Freebie Mods" to get me started?

Thanks again, can't wait to hit the trails. :confused:

Will the FSW Header pipe work on a '07? I only see it listed up to '06.

It should work. No REAL changes to the KLX300 in years.

Are the gains worth it to replace the stock muffler with an aftermarket or just keep the stock muffler and modify it?.

Keep the stock muffler and use the saved $$ for the suspension.

Ride on

Brewster

Yes, the FSW will fit your 300 just installed one on my 07. Remove the butt plug on the stock muffler. remove air box lid, install the dynojet stage two jet kit. I jetted mine for above 6000 ft. I am thinking of gearing it to a 12 tooth on the front. do alot of slow trail riding. good luck Go Green

The air box really helps. Pull out the "restrictor" in the cranks case vent tube. There is a little piece of plastic in there that is one of the Planet KLX free mods. Then I put a FMF Q2 pipe on and I have a Mikuni carb on the way. The shocks springs are soft all the way around...They are on the way too..

CT

what will pulling out that resrictor do? i bet mines still in there too. but what is the gain?

The piston moving up and down displaces air which has to pass through the orifice. Removing it lets it do so easier.

The single best mod (including a 340 and 331 big bore) that I ever did to my KLX was the FCR carb. Actually, that was about equal to getting the suspension professionally done. The FCR makes the KLX a different (read: muuuuch better & more fun) bike.

That is one of the free mods from Planet KLX. I am not sure hw to explain what it does but, the guy I ride with says it helps the engine vacuum? Or pressure. It is similar to replacing the crankcase tube which is also a free mod from Planet KLX.

Have fun...

CT

There Is A Geat Deal Of Mod Info If You Do A Google Seach, Type In KLX Mod.