Sign in to follow this  

clutch basket removal trick?

I dont have an impact, or the "special" clutch holding tool, and the drill rod my cousin welded onto one of my old steel plates snapped off when i tried using that.

are there any tricks to get the basket out or am i just going to have to put out the cash for a clutch holder thingus?

thanks, dz

You'll need to buy the holder tool.

There are ways of getting it off without the tool or an impact wrench, but you'll most likely break the inner clutch hub.

I used 4 old clutch plates, 2 steel and 2 friction. Bolted them together and stuck it in place.

I snapped one of my inner hub lobes off last week...I was told (but did not try) that you could stick a penny in the gears??? :confused: The claim is the penny will get mangled but the gears will be fine. You would have to remove the entire engine side instead of just the cover...I don't even know if that is possible. Like I said I did not go that route...spend some money and get an impact (handy with other things too) instead of a clutch holding tool that you will only use for one thing. :excuseme:

Piece of aluminum in gears works good also. Al. being so much softer than our gears takes the abuse not the gears. I have had to do it more times than I care to admit here lately.

DJ

Just spend the $15 for clutch holding tool from RockyMountain.

Just spend the $15 for clutch holding tool from RockyMountain.

+1

Just search for the Tusk brand. Most have the added benefit of being a spanner wrench for your flywheel too.

RC's method looks pretty good if you have the parts.

$15!!!! The guy at the parts store said they were like $80...I would have done that in the first place......

I used the end of a tie down strap,wraped around basket like twice. then wraped around the peg. this works if you wrap it right. kind of like a strap wrench. worked for me

$15!!!! The guy at the parts store said they were like $80...I would have done that in the first place......

I was .99 off. :confused:Clutch Holding Tool

Well it turns the tranny which turns the back wheel, Lock up the back wheel which will lock up the clutch.