Sign in to follow this  

Pit Bike Help!!!

So I ordered an SSR 110cc Pit Bike from Outlaw Power Sports & I got it yesterday... And Today it wouldnt start so I checked the Spark Plug and that wasnt the problem. Any suggestions on what i should do?

First try draining some fuel from the screw on the bottom of the bowl to make sure carb is getting gas in it. Then...

Try twisting the throttle as you start the bike up. On my bike I have to twist the throttle open a bit to get her running.

Not in the laughing mood after spend $600 on something that doesnt work

Patience my friend.... you need 3 things for the motor to run and fuel is one of them... the other 2 are Spark and Air!!!

Check to see if you have Spark (You said you checked the plug How??) you Have spark??

and check to see if the fuel is flowing into the carb and motor

I had the same problem when i first got my icon. It ran fine the first time, then i went back to start it and nothing.

So i drained the carb bowl around 5 times before getting it to fire up. I also found that the spark plug was loose, may want to check that. Otherwise make sure the gas is turned on and the kill switch isnt off and keep kicking.

Not being rude but i race MX i know how to start a dirt bike... I was seeing if anyone else has had this problem & what they did or if theyre is anything i can do such as returning it because i really dont want to spend money getting it checked out or rebuilt by someone after having it for less then 24 hours.

I made sure i had spark & cleaned off the tip with a wire brush to make sure it had spark and wasnt caked in oil.. im going to try to drain the carb bowl right now and see what i can do

Not being rude but i race MX i know how to start a dirt bike... I was seeing if anyone else has had this problem & what they did or if theyre is anything i can do such as returning it because i really dont want to spend money getting it checked out or rebuilt by someone after having it for less then 24 hours.

Not to be a wise @ss either....:confused:

I guess I know how to start a bike also and race Mx for over 25 years...But this is a Pit Bike and they are different believe it or not some are a bit particular and need adjusting and fine tuning to get them to start..even the simplest of them

as paintslinga2010 suggested check the Kill switch they are known for "No" starting Issues and try to get the fuel to flow

Here are a few things.

1. The bike is neutral start only (bike has to be in neutral).

2. The clutch lever has to be out (do not pull it in).

3. Make sure the kill switch is in the correct position.

4. Check that gas is making it into the carb (petcock position or debris in the line)

These bikes are not notorious for not starting. In the 6 years we have been selling the SSR bikes we have not had anyone need to take it to a shop just to get it running (that we know of anyway) but, there is a first for everything in life. It is most likely something simple.

Here are a few things.

1. The bike is neutral start only (bike has to be in neutral).

2. The clutch lever has to be out (do not pull it in).

3. Make sure the kill switch is in the correct position.

4. Check that gas is making it into the carb (petcock position or debris in the line)

These bikes are not notorious for not starting. In the 6 years we have been selling the SSR bikes we have not had anyone need to take it to a shop just to get it running (that we know of anyway) but, there is a first for everything in life. It is most likely something simple.

Definetly something simple

Make sure as well to not turn the throttle to much when kicking it over. Had the annoyence of fludding my once or twice when i first got it.

Disconnect the key switch, then the kill switch one at a time and try cranking it then. If it fires and you need to kill it, just put it in the tallest gear and hold the brake and let the clutch out to stall it.

Hey HPI,

Did you hear that JC has moved his track day to the 30th? I know it's still tax season, but I thought you might be able to make it.

BTW, I've been riding dirt bikes since the early 70's (gawd I'm old) but I still had a day when I went nuts because my bike wouldn't start. If it has the switch type kill switch instead of a button, you may have it switched off, I did.

The other thing is on both of my bikes choke sometimes helps and other days it hurts. As someone else suggested, open the throttle just a bit when starting. Again, on both of my bikes I can kick them till I'm blue in the face and they won't start, but if I hold the throttle open just a bit they will start first or second kick.

Definitely check for spark (pull the plug have someone ground it and kick and look for spark) If you have spark and you have fuel and nothing else is working, you may have to adjust the valves. I know a new bike shouldn't need it, but both of my bikes had overly tight valve clearances out of the box.

As Kevin said, these are a bit different from other bikes.

check the kill switch to see if the connecters came loose. Also check the ground from the coil it might have vibrated loose on the first ride. Also let us know if you got it to work. Good luck!

i'm ordering that bike in about a week so def. let us know what you find out....hope it is something simple and you got it worked out or do very soon!

Hey HPI,

Did you hear that JC has moved his track day to the 30th? I know it's still tax season, but I thought you might be able to make it.

Yeah I saw that over on PM. I'm trying to find a way to sneak off for the day. If it ever dries up on a weekend I want to post up a ride report, list of things I did, and some pics.

Check all the electrical connections, sometimes they can be loose from the factory and slip out of their connectors.