XR250 or XR400 offroad? What would I notice?

Given an opportunity to ride an XR250 and a XR400 on the trails and MX tracks, what would I notice different about the bikes? I assume the 400 would be about the same weight but maybe quite a bit more power?

I only rode a 250 twice and now own a 400 that I plated.

If I was just going to keep it for trails and such, I would have been fine with the 250. Wanting to dual sport it, I felt the 400 was a better fit without having to go all the way to a heavy 600/650.

I don't think I would try my hand on a mx track with a xr250 or 400. Suspension isn't made for big jumps.

From many miles in smothering 3rd world traffic,to trails alongside of the Panama canal itself,to mountains so hi up you actually get into the clouds,or at least thats what it felt like to me,to miles upon miles of beach front riding,I just cant see my self on a more reliable bike except another XR,the 400 is heavier,and it dont have a 6th gear,IMO I like the XR250 in heavy lane splitting traffic,with some mods and a few aftermarket pieces,the XR 250 is not that far removed from the 400,If I want more all purpose power,I own a 86 XR600,which only goes outside for special occasions,I just took delivery of a 08 XR650L,I dont yet have the plate for it,and its not even setup,or un corked,ive been riding my 250 so much,That ive not messed with the latest addition to our XR family,and I dont want to get it dirty,especially with rainy season upon us,but ill slowly get it into service,but for now,the 250 is my daily driver.if you want lightness,get the 250 if you just got to have more weight then the 400 is hard to beat,if your a junkie like me,the 600/650 is sure to keep you jonesing for more. I have XR brain damage,please help me.

It all just depends on where you'll be riding. The XR250 is light and nimble on the tight technical trails opposed to the XR4 which is noticeably heavier. However, if the trails you ride are more open, or if you are interested in dual sporting it the 400 would be the way to go. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide to get.

Given an opportunity to ride an XR250 and a XR400 on the trails and MX tracks, what would I notice different about the bikes? I assume the 400 would be about the same weight but maybe quite a bit more power?

I've had both and much prefer the 400. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs and didn't notice any increase in weight or height. I feel the 400 made me a better rider. Hill climbs are so much easier. If I need to let off the throttle some to change lines, it will just chug on up the hill after I get back in the throttle, where the 250 needed to keep the revs up to pull me up.

The fun factor is way higher, power wheelies in 1st and 2nd no problem, and a little tug pulls up the front wheel in 3rd. If I need to wheelie over an obstacle, it's really easy with the 400, where the 250 I had to prepare to blast that obstacle with my front wheel and get ready for the deflection it caused.

I seem to get the same mileage out of 400 as I did with the 250. If I cruise I can get around 100 miles per tank before reserve.

I loved my XR250 though, and feel it's the best beginner bike out there. If I was smaller or lighter, it might have been a bigger step up to the 400 as well.

Sorry, I can't give you any input on MX. I've been on a small MX track before with a few table tops and the bike just doesn't jump real well. The landings seem pretty rough, but I've never been on a true MX bike to compare to.