Miles to Butt Pain Ratio?

I know this is rather subjective, but I'm looking to potentially buy a DRZ that's located about 450 miles from my home. The easiest (from a logistical standpoint) and most cost effective way to get the bike home would be to ride it.

The notion of 450 miles on a DRZ is already making my butt pucker.

Just wondering what kind of road miles you guys have done in a stretch?

TIA.

Tipsy

I've done ~500 over two days once .. with the stock tank and having to stop every 100miles or so to fill up gives your butt a chance to get things circulating again.

But yeah, you'll be sore and your hands will buzz for a few hours once you stop.

Good luck

I have only done just under 200 miles in a day. It takes some time to get used to but just stop and rest like every gas fill or more often. My friend long road trip was 3 hours and I had to stop about every hour. I had some serious monkey butt going on. Then you're wrists and arms start getting sore. A cousin of mines friend road from I think Arizona to either very north of California or around there in one day! He did have a steering stabilizer and better seat but that's still nuts!

how do you intend on driving it on the road? its illegal in NY to ride a dirt bike on the road

if you go through with this you'll be sore as hell.

how do you intend on driving it on the road? its illegal in NY to ride a dirt bike on the road

It's a DRZ-S. It's street legal.

Tipsy

if you go through with this you'll be sore as hell.

Ummmm.....S or Sm models are plated from the factory....

This is not a YZ or WR...

It's a DRZ-S. It's street legal.

Tipsy

ugh... you'll be half viberated away by the end and the other half frozen and aching

good luck though, it will be good experience

It depends a lot on the guy riding it. I've done plenty of 700+ mile a day rides on the DRZ, and my ass never hurts. Even 3 days in a row (5 days in a row for shorter distances).

My friends cry like babies after 3 hours in the DRZ saddle.

But how bad can it be? Imagine trying to do that time on a bicycle, and the seat will seem like a lazy boy cushion in comparison. My sport bike is 400 times more painful to ride than the DRZ.

The most I've ever endured in one day was just over 200 miles.

My butt was still numb the next day. I have a "S" with the stock seat.

I would look into renting a van or truck if you don't have a friend with one.

If you are just trying to get the bike home, I'd suggest find someone with a pickup truck, a piece of wood (for a ramp), some straps and haul the bike home.

Long trips on a dirt bike are not the place to find out what the seller didn't tell you about the machine. It doesn't take much to take you out of action, and then the rescue tow is going to cost you tons more than if you just picked it up in a first place.

Or even rent a van or something, until you know the bike doesn't have hidden gremlins.

If you are just trying to get the bike home, I'd suggest find someone with a pickup truck, a piece of wood (for a ramp), some straps and haul the bike home.

Long trips on a dirt bike are not the place to find out what the seller didn't tell you about the machine. It doesn't take much to take you out of action, and then the rescue tow is going to cost you tons more than if you just picked it up in a first place.

Or even rent a van or something, until you know the bike doesn't have hidden gremlins.

Probably sage advice.

I can buy a class one hitch for my mighty PT Cruiser and borrow a trailer from a friend.

Tipsy

for me, 60-80 miles.

i have done close to 350 miles in a single day.....i had a problem with getting drowsy while on the freeway:crazy: :confused:

but when it comes to butt pain about 100 miles or 1 tank of gas

I remember that. And your blinker hangin' off too.

the most I've ever done was 700 miles in one day on the DRZ. Didn't bother me in the least. Could have easily got up the next day and done it again

But then, I have a high tolerance for long days on bikes, because I do it all the time. The DRZ took me a little to get used to the seat, but after that, not much different than any other non-faired bike.

just take your time, stop when you're tired, and keep your speed "reasonable". High speed is what fatigues you the fastest.

I remember that. And your blinker hangin' off too.

zac2.jpg

zac3.jpg

:excuseme:

i forgot about that...the blinkers... but i remember how you lost your blinkers before the ride even started..at the gas station off the 73:thinking: :confused::excuseme::crazy:

i need you to rescue me away from the wife and youngin this sunday....please...:sweden:

the most I've ever done was 700 miles in one day on the DRZ. Didn't bother me in the least. Could have easily got up the next day and done it again

i dig the turbo project but...

700 miles sounds way far fetch...were you tree dodging or on the highway?

i dig the turbo project but...

700 miles sounds way far fetch...were you tree dodging or on the highway?

far fetched eh?

Was about 400 miles on the freeway, the rest on twisty back roads.

I'll be riding to CO in a couple months. 1400 miles in 2 days. You can follow me and document it

far fetched eh?

Was about 400 miles on the freeway, the rest on twisty back roads.

You can follow me and document it

i document my own rides for proof.... just in case someone says its "far fetched"

i document my own rides for proof.... just in case someone says its "far fetched"

:confused: I didn't think it was all that impressive honestly. I've done 1100 mile days back to back within a 10 day ride. Now THAT was brutal. Or going from seattle to Arkansas in 3 days, and then doing a track day the next day. THAT was brutal.

I guess i have a different measuring stick than others :excuseme: