Sign in to follow this  

LED lights

Okay, not Baja specific but ....

Maybe I don't pay attention but has anyone put together mc lighting with LED's. I just bought some LED lights for my mtn bike that are about 1/2 the size of a golf ball - smaller light, smaller battery, brighter and longer battery life (not that that matters on a mc) than my old HID's. http://www.niterider.com/prod_minewtx2dual.shtml

Seems you could run LED's on a bike and make a lighter and smaller system than 2 big 8". Like these http://www.visionxoffroad.com/New/

I would think a couple 6" or even 12" stacked on top of each other would work good.

At the Del Mar off road show there was a rep from Baja Designs that had some of these:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/net/mainframe2.aspx?login=YES&category=TRKBGY

They were fairly focused and had the color of HID, but were about $450 a piece. I think LED technology is moving forward but still has a little way to go. I did not see the benefit of these over HID in that they contained 18 3 watt LED's for a total of 54 watts, whereas a 35 watt HID would still put out more actual light. I think right now the only benefit is that the LED will not burn out as quick as HID. Surprisingly, the LED light still put out some significant heat from the housing and needs to be finned.

If you go into the classifieds here on TT and keep going to the Husky section, scroll down to the 07TC 450 for sale. There is a photo of our bike with the LEDs mounted on the rear fender that we raced Score with. Worked good and were cheaper than the setup mentioned above.:confused:

If you go into the classifieds here on TT and keep going to the Husky section, scroll down to the 07TC 450 for sale. There is a photo of our bike with the LEDs mounted on the rear fender that we raced Score with. Worked good and were cheaper than the setup mentioned above.:confused:

Put an LED on the back of the XR. Fit in the stock type lense.

No more blown bulbs and no more carrying a spare.

Okay, not Baja specific but ....

Maybe I don't pay attention but has anyone put together mc lighting with LED's. I just bought some LED lights for my mtn bike that are about 1/2 the size of a golf ball - smaller light, smaller battery, brighter and longer battery life (not that that matters on a mc) than my old HID's. http://www.niterider.com/prod_minewtx2dual.shtml

Seems you could run LED's on a bike and make a lighter and smaller system than 2 big 8". Like these http://www.visionxoffroad.com/New/

I would think a couple 6" or even 12" stacked on top of each other would work good.

Here's the direct link for the LED Xmitter... http://www.visionxoffroad.com/products/led/XMITTERBAR/

Several bikes, and 4 wheeled vehicles ran these in the 1000.

... not sure how well they work for distance against an HID 8" spot... but, it's nice that you might have less problems or not all your eggs in one basket when one light goes out. However, they do draw a LOT of power from the bike/vehicle.

Model Length # of LEDs Watts Amp Draw Lumens

XIL-80 6" 8 24 2 1440

XIL-120 9" 12 36 3 2160

XIL-200 12" 20 60 5 3600

XIL-400 22" 40 120 10 7200

XIL-600 32" 60 180 15 10800

XIL-800 42" 80 240 20 14400

The comparison on the site shows a couple of HIDs against a 42" led bar.

Sadly, the HIDs don't do so well for up close spread... but, they are only drawing half the amps (or less) of that 42" light bar!!!

HIDs still get my vote.

This LED technology is rapidly advancing. Expect a 50% increase in lumens by mid summer...

This LED technology is rapidly advancing. Expect a 50% increase in lumens by mid summer...

Yes it is... but, is the amp draw also going to remain the same, or increase with light intensity?!

Being HID has such a low amp draw when running (not talking startup, which is close to it's normal running amp draw times 2), and provides so much light... And now it's cost is dropping dramatically, it's still the light of choice by many.

LED is on the rise... but so are it's costs.

Once they provide ample light, with minimal requirements from the bike... or ample meaning (as much as HID), with same current/amp draw... I'll definitely switch over to LED. But until then I'm an HID fan.

Benefits are sometimes great for LED, as you can run them directly off the bike/quad stator if you had to. No need for a battery, and charging system. With most bikes coming with e-start... the benefits don't outweigh the cost and such as of yet.

Technology is great isn't it?!?! :confused:

The new Luxeon K3 LED coming out will have a 50% increase in light and a 10% drop in power requirements. Good stuff on the horizon...

The new Luxeon K3 LED coming out will have a 50% increase in light and a 10% drop in power requirements. Good stuff on the horizon...

Nice! :confused:

We should have all been nicer to the nerds in high school. They're the ones inventing this stuff....maybe they could have hooked us up with some sweet deals!!

Thanks, I guess I will wait to sell my HID's.

Have you been eating paint chips again? You would never get around to selling them anyway:bonk:

Have you been eating paint chips again? You would never get around to selling them anyway:bonk:

true....

I'd just buy a shelf to put them on.