Sign in to follow this  

Don't socialize when working on your bike!!

I decided to take on the task of greasing my linkages, wheel bearings, and swing arm on my 08 wr250f. Everything was going great. I had taken the day off and was just working along by myself. Well, when I was almost finished my neighbor came up and we started chatting. Thats where things went bad.

I ended up putting the chain tensioner (the one that is bolted to the frame through the left foot peg) back on w/o first lifting up the chain over it. So when I put the rear wheel back on and got the chain onto the sprocket, the chain tensioner was forcing the chain to rub on the frame.:confused::excuseme: :excuseme:

I took the bike for a test ride. I noticed immediately that there was a lot of drag and that something was grinding. (It was the chain against the frame). Anyway, I stopped pretty quick, but there was still some damage to the frame. (sorry, no pics b/c my camera broke) The chain rubbed two gashes into the part of the frame near where the "u" piece of the rear linkage connects to the frame. The gashes are about 1/8" or less deep and about 3/4" long.

I was wondering, is the frame right there hollow. I know it didn't go all the way through but it might be close. How thick is the frame? And will this damage cause any major problems in the future, like making the frame weaker. And last can I use something like Quick Aluminum (http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-36626/MSR/Quikaluminum.html) to just patch up these two gashes.

Thanks for any help.

Tim

The first picture here shows the damage from the top. The second is taken from underneath the bike. The third is for reference; I am pointing at where the damage is on the bike. Any input on how serious you think the damage is, or on a review of QuikAluminum would be helpful. Thanks.

2347214416_927952e29c.jpg?v=0

2347213234_5c61be75ce.jpg?v=1205990866

2346387919_7e76db9d1c.jpg?v=0

invest in ear plugs and learn how to nod your head automaticly when someone starts talking

I got that beat. LOL.

I'm taking care of my 3 year olds PW50, putting it back in my garage and cleaning the mud off. Meanwhile I have my back turned on the little turd and guess whats on the bench.. a 250f motor torn apart, separated and organized. Well to say the least, when i turned back around my cylinder was packed full of snow balls and I cant find my valve train parts that were all laid out organized. After looking for a few minutes I see my head bolts sticking out of my coffee cup. LOL. he had put all the buckets, shims, springs and every bolt and nut that would fit down inside my coffee mug. lucky hes three or he would be getting a whooping. lol :confused:

Do you have a pic of the damage?

Kinda remind me of the time me and my brother packed my dads BSA oil tank full of rocks.

saturday I was making setup changes for sunday's ride .....moving the forks in the clamps when neighbors came over to socialize. I put the t handle down after tightening only 1 of the triple clamp bolts and began social hour.

sunday after my sighting lap I started hittin all the jumps and started hearing loud clanks on landing from forks when the light bulb went off. The forks were jammed under the bars and all the untightened bolts were falling out.

It was nearly a costly mistake.

Lol, sounds like I'm not the only one then.

I'll try to borrow a digi camera and get a pic soon. Any feed back QuikAluminum or the thickness of the aluminum frame?

You're lucky you weren't into the engine when you started to talk to your neighbor, that could have been a disaster on your first start up!

I know how you feel. I was at the track and my chain needed to be adjusted so I losen axel nut adjust chain tighten everything up while someone was talking to me, go and take a ride and here a wierd noise. Come off the track and find a missing axel nut and axel almost out. could of been bad. It only takes one time to learn your lesson. I try to work on my bike in garage alone with no cell phone.Its bad enough having those pesky garage gremlins messing with things.

And don't drink... too much.

I did the regular service thing a few weeks back and forgot to torque the oil tank bolt, all because I was pissed. Rode 400 meters abouts on a slippery rear wheel before I pulled over. Luck no damage....

Anyway, I've learn't to double check my work while sober. :confused:

Pictures added to my first post.

The first picture shows the damage from the top. The second is taken from underneath the bike. The third is for reference; I am pointing at where the damage is on the bike. Any input on how serious you think the damage is, or on a review of QuikAluminum would be helpful. Thanks.

Again, the depth of the gashes is about 1/8" or less.

Pictures added to my first post.

The first picture shows the damage from the top. The second is taken from underneath the bike. The third is for reference; I am pointing at where the damage is on the bike. Any input on how serious you think the damage is, or on a review of QuikAluminum would be helpful. Thanks.

Again, the depth of the gashes is about 1/8" or less.

sheesh!

I reckon she'll be right, you'd think most strength would come from the axel/pin that slips in there.

Not sure bout QuikAluminium, might just make it look pretty.

Good luck...

Man that sucks but it really does not look bad. I think you should be fine. Hey I have a new 08 and just scratched up the top of my fork by mistake I am pissed at my self for doing it but like yours it should be fine. It is pretty thick where it rubbed.

nah it probably wont hurt the strength since that area seems to be a solid block of aluminum but if it bothers you fill it in with something and file it smooth and it should look alright!

nah it probably wont hurt the strength since that area seems to be a solid block of aluminum but if it bothers you fill it in with something and file it smooth and it should look alright!

Yeah I'll prob. just end up doing that. Hopefully that piece is solid aluminum and not hollow. I wonder where I can find this out. Maybe yamaha would know.

Yeah I'll prob. just end up doing that. Hopefully that piece is solid aluminum and not hollow. I wonder where I can find this out. Maybe yamaha would know.

Are the gash's on the linkage or the frame?

The linkage is hollow where the axel/pin/bolt thing goes through. Take a look at your manual.

I had a friend replace his tire with a tire iron inside...he was talking to his g/f on the phone. I kid you not. We were at the track and he said his rear tire was shaking when he would hit a jump...he couldnt figure out why until it finally popped and when he replaced the tube found the tire iron inside. Hes an awesome district 7 racer too that has been to some high profile races.

Are the gash's on the linkage or the frame?

The linkage is hollow where the axel/pin/bolt thing goes through. Take a look at your manual.

The gashes I think are on the frame. The piece where the gashes are, is welded to the frame (so by definition I think it would be the frame also.) I just regreased the linkages by removing them from the bike. The place where the gashes are is non-removable.

I'm hoping it is solid.

The gashes I think are on the frame. The piece where the gashes are, is welded to the frame (so by definition I think it would be the frame also.) I just regreased the linkages by removing them from the bike. The place where the gashes are is non-removable.

I'm hoping it is solid.

Ok understand, I think it'll be cool, only one way to find out.:confused:

Hes an awesome district 7 racer too that has been to some high profile races.

Name please??? :confused: