What gearing

i've got a 96 yz250. its got a pro circuit platinum pipe and shorty silencer. I"m looking for more torque in the woods. I am always on the clutch. will gearing it down help my situation much, would I be better off going with an fmf fatty pipe? I looking to make this bike more woods ready. I ride mostly trails with the occasional track. Also, does anyone here have a tall complete seat that they use and like, I'm looking for more cushion on the back.

The FMF Fatty is known to broaden power increase everywhere whereas the PC is supposed to add only in the mid-top range.

For woods you should gear down, get a flywheel weight to prevent stalls, and put on a spark arrestor.

I would gear down first and then perhaps get the different pipe if you can't achieve it with gearing.

I added a tooth to the rear of my 97. The flywheel weight is perfect for this bike just like shurbitup said. The bike was supplied with a very light flywheel to try and make the engine feel more lively. In stock form it was almost perfect for offroad work.

There is also fun to be had with the powervalve cover on the left side of the motor. You can use a flat plate to make it smaller. Depending on the pipe it sometimes helped low end, sometimes it hurt it.

what gearing do you have on it right now? 14/48 49? you can just make a plate out of some aluminum for the side valve RC was talking about, i remember looking at them when i had my 98 but didnt want to buy one.

14/52, GYTR Flywheel, FMF Gnarly/TC2, ungodly upper low to mid power. Thought about going back to 14/50 but still like the 52 on the narrow and steep switchback goat trails.

how does the bike respond to the occasional straights with that gearing ?

how does the bike respond to the occasional straights with that gearing ?

Thought I'd be able to grab third faster as I was getting "there" faster with my new power curve. However, that's the thing - I am getting along in the straights faster than before and so I am finding the corners come up faster too. So, it's difficult to hit third before slammin' right back down to second for the corner (barely ATV wide trails).

If you were inquiring about the top end pull - it's still there. I test this out on the logging roads where I can find some straights. The only time I've had this bike fully rung out is on paved roads where I could use some extra speed I guess (but I'd still be going much faster than the posted speed limit :confused:).

i would say if your not using all the bike can do with the gearing why not add a few to the rear? it will make it easier to ride prolly. i have used between 14/49 to 13/50 for different tracks and even use 15/42 for a few grand prix races.