Sign in to follow this  

A Pitster or mod my current 50?

hey guys, i got a question. i been lookin at different posts and i here that pitsters are great reliable pit bikes that work with many different after market parts. now, i have my own 04' crf50 that i am planning to mod, but im not sure if im getting a change of heart or not. what do you guys think? get a pitster or continue to mod my current 50? :excuseme: :excuseme: :confused:

I own a Pitster X2 and i love it to death. If you have the time and the money i would say go for moding your crf so you can have a one of a kind bike. But like the rest of us hear on the forum we just dont have $5000 to blow in mods for a crf 50. This is why the pit bike market has exploded in the past couple of years. You can go out and buy a brand new Pitsters Pro X2, X4, or X4r and it will be night and day compared to a crf 50. I love the little honda's but I seem to like my Pitster more. It comes ready to ride with a 140cc motor, great suspension (both the forks and rear spring and swing arm), my favorite part: the manual clutch, 4 gears instead of three, its taller and is more comfertable for larger riders. The way money is so tight these day you almost can beat the way the pricing is. My X2 was $1495 shipped to my door and at my local dealer a 07/08 crf 50 was $1300. Its all up to you and if you are related to bill gates mod the crf 50, if not well then its your choice again.:confused:

So far only supermoto wheels and tires and a FMF 4.1 slapped on it.:confused: Probobly will leave it alone for a while because I spent a lot of money in the past two months with the bike itself and a few odds and ends.

I just went through the same dilemma and I just sold both of my crf50's to go the Chinese route, its just to damn expensive dollar for dollar modding the crf50's for what you can get with the OGM, SSR, Pitster Pro, etc. bikes.

Jeremiah over at Staggs was very very helpful and spent alot of time with me on deciding what would be the best bet for me and Outlaw as well so i'd check these bikes out and you'll see what the best decision will really be.

I'm new to all of this as well, so my opinion isnt as good as alot of people on here but I was in your shoes a couple weeks ago on what to do and actually made pretty much the same thread if you wanna search back and see quite a bit of opinions as well.

i went crf50 to pitster pro x2....i have about half the money in it and twice the performance.......difference like mentioned above is the money and owning a honda verses a "knockoff"

first ride on my x2 i forgot all about my old bike!

also depends whether you want to use it at a track or on the flat messing around stuntin?

thx for the insight guys. the thing is, it is a reliable bike vs. a chinese made bike. i know that if you take care of it that it can last, but im am stuck:excuseme: . another thing i can buy an x4 the same price as my shopping cart on minibikeoutlet.com. lastly, how many after market parts are compatible with teh pitsters and wat type of bike parts do u need?

p.s: i try and post my shopping cart soon

OGM, Pitsters and SSR's are all very reliable IMO. The whole bad vibe about China bikes is from the junk that is sold at pep boys and the like. I say this all the time, but a Honda that has been bored and stroked and had the cam messed with is no more reliable than a YX or Lifan engine. That of course is my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I have both an OGM and a Lifan based bike and they are both reliable. The cheap bike took some work to get it there, but the OGM was about perfect out of the box and continues to be.

Head over to Outlawpowersports.com and also staggsminis.com/SGR-USA.com and take a look around at the bikes there. Any bike on either of those web sites will be as reliable as they come from china which from the bikes today is just like the jap bikes. Pretty much these webs site will give you free shipping on almost every bike I think. Also depending on which jap bike the pit bike is models after (either the klx or crf), most parts are interchangable with those stock parts. The X4 with the 150cc motor has a ton of after market parts for it as well as the OGM's and SSR's and others.

Had my pitster at the track today for the first time...unbeievable the kind of power that thing has! like everyone has said, just depends if you want to take the time and money to mod your bike but you'd be riding a pit bike from one of the websites listed alot sooner! you'll have a blast on either though

Head over to Outlawpowersports.com and also staggsminis.com/SGR-USA.com and take a look around at the bikes there. Any bike on either of those web sites will be as reliable as they come from china which from the bikes today is just like the jap bikes. Pretty much these webs site will give you free shipping on almost every bike I think. Also depending on which jap bike the pit bike is models after (either the klx or crf), most parts are interchangable with those stock parts. The X4 with the 150cc motor has a ton of after market parts for it as well as the OGM's and SSR's and others.

Dude, for an 18 year old, you make more sense on many of your posts than most people here. :excuseme: You seem to have common sense which I don't think too many 18 year olds have (trust me, I have two of them) :confused:

ok, so i think ive finally made a decision: i think im gonna get a pitster x2, but does anyone suggest otherwise? one question i would ask is that u get a bike like this, wat kind of maintenance do u need to perform to it other than draining stock oil, filling up with new oil and breakin it in, then replacing that oil again?

Dude, for an 18 year old, you make more sense on many of your posts than most people here. :excuseme: You seem to have common sense which I don't think too many 18 year olds have (trust me, I have two of them) :confused:

I guess i grew up faster than the others out there except when it comes to the toys and such. :excuseme: Couldn't tell I am who I am lol.

Well, we just went through this with another young person. You need to be able to do some wrenching. You should have a good set of metric allen wrenches, open and and socket wrenches. You should have a torque wrench, you need to be able to adjust valves. You need to be able to take apart a triple clamp and grease the steering bearings. You need to know how to clean and oil a chain and an air filter.

That is some of what you really should be able to do if you want to buy a bike that comes in a crate. I think it's the best thing ever, I like knowing my bike is put together right, but you have to have some mechanical savvy. With the carb that comes on the X2, you will probably have to feel comfortable pulling it off and re-jetting it. The engine that comes on those is great, the carb kinda sucks in my opinion. They have been made to work, but they have to be tinkered with a bit.

I have a friendship with Jeremiah at SGR, so I would hope you would look at what he has to offer because he will treat you very well. But I have worked on a new X2 recently, and besides the couple of issues I already mentioned, it looked like a great bike. If you are going Pitster, definitely give Outlawpowersports or Tboltusa a try. They will also take care of you.

My X2 is a great all around bike for its price. Not a single thing wrong with it except what Chiro says because it does bogg a little bit which you want to open the throttle all the way at once. Jetting is a normal thing that pretty much all of us will need to learn in the long run but that minor :confused: when it comes to things wrong on a bike. Haven't had to tinker with my carb to much on my big Honda, but the small carb on the X2 is a sinch to work on. Got to love how simple these bike part are assemble compared to my trucks motor. :excuseme: