need help! 1984 husqvarna wr500, wont start

i just bought this 1984 husqvarna wr500. i got a used mag/flywheel off a 1984 cr? 500. same engine. but different mag/fly.

my problem is it will start and fly down the road if i pull start it. but when i go try and kick start the thing it will not start. evan after it is wormed up it still wont start. does anyone know why it would do this????:confused:

Hi,

My guess would be that the timing should /will be different for the 2 ignitions,

I should think that a 500 2-stroke will "fly" wether it's running great - or just ok.

these things are always difficult to fix with a 1200 mile - long - screwdriver !!

Charlie

First there is no 84 WR. Only XC and CR and Auto. I suspect you have an XC (is ther a loop from the frame over the back MX style fender? Does it have lights? That is the difference in the SEM vs. Mottoplat ignition. When you say pull start are you meaning jump start in like 3rd gear? If no start when kicking but it will bump start, that is a sure sign of worn cylinder/piston/rings and a lcak of compression. I had several 83 84 500's over the years and they are very tough to start (meaning tough kick....very high compression) Do a compression test and telll me what it reads. Also try this. gas valve on, tip bike sideways til fuel flows out carb overflow tubes. Stand upright, put in 1st gear and with clutch not pulled in rock bike foward and back to make piston move a bit through stroke, put back in neutral and find sweet spot in kick stroke (piston at top of stroke....this will be were the kicker feels easy then gets hard) relaese kicker and return to top and give a healthy boot. Choke on if cold.

Tough to tell 1000's of miles away though. Bike sounds old and tired and probably needs an new bore/rings piston which are hard to find for the 500's and quite expensive.

If bike has 6 speed then a XC..........if a 4 speed then a CR.

Joe

First there is no 84 WR. Only XC and CR and Auto. I suspect you have an XC (is ther a loop from the frame over the back MX style fender? Does it have lights? That is the difference in the SEM vs. Mottoplat ignition. When you say pull start are you meaning jump start in like 3rd gear? If no start when kicking but it will bump start, that is a sure sign of worn cylinder/piston/rings and a lcak of compression. I had several 83 84 500's over the years and they are very tough to start (meaning tough kick....very high compression) Do a compression test and telll me what it reads. Also try this. gas valve on, tip bike sideways til fuel flows out carb overflow tubes. Stand upright, put in 1st gear and with clutch not pulled in rock bike foward and back to make piston move a bit through stroke, put back in neutral and find sweet spot in kick stroke (piston at top of stroke....this will be were the kicker feels easy then gets hard) relaese kicker and return to top and give a healthy boot. Choke on if cold.

Tough to tell 1000's of miles away though. Bike sounds old and tired and probably needs an new bore/rings piston which are hard to find for the 500's and quite expensive.

Joe

it is a 6 speed. but the finder says wr 500...?? but thats not really important to me. i just got a new top end. re sleeved, new piston, rings, the works.... has a lot of compression.... its very hard to kick over... and the bike is in really good shape for how old it is.. what type of sparkplug, gas mix, would you recomend? no lights right now... dont know if there was at some time.. i just got it from my boss....and pull start... meaning with a jeep, rope, and me on the bike in 6th gear. hasto be 6th or the thing wont turn over. the back tire just drags.(i dont weigh that much...) :confused:

Hi,

My guess would be that the timing should /will be different for the 2 ignitions,

I should think that a 500 2-stroke will "fly" wether it's running great - or just ok.

these things are always difficult to fix with a 1200 mile - long - screwdriver !!

Charlie

1200 mile long screwdriver??? what?????

i have messed with the timing, it still wont kick start. when i have the plug out and kick it over it will not spark at all if i kick it in a normal fashion ( like my other honda bikes) but if i give it a good solid kick it sparks once or twice for the one kick. i dont think that is normal. do you?:confused:

1200 mile long screwdriver??? what?????

i have messed with the timing, it still wont kick start. when i have the plug out and kick it over it will not spark at all if i kick it in a normal fashion ( like my other honda bikes) but if i give it a good solid kick it sparks once or twice for the one kick. i dont think that is normal. do you?:confused:

What he means is tough to do with this format and the distance from him to you.

The timing on them has a specific way to be set using specific tools and since you don't know of say what type of ignition you have that makes it even tougher to help with. I appreciate the enthusiasim you have but you should have not as you say "messed" with the timing so quickly. You are now at a place where my only sugestion is to take to a competent mechanic. That bike should easily jump in 3rd gear. Mine always did and I was about 135 when I was your age and owned one of them in 84. Remember it is a big bore and hence does require a good oompfph on the kicker.

Joe

What he means is tough to do with this format and the distance from him to you.

The timing on them has a specific way to be set using specific tools and since you don't know of say what type of ignition you have that makes it even tougher to help with. I appreciate the enthusiasim you have but you should have not as you say "messed" with the timing so quickly. You are now at a place where my only sugestion is to take to a competent mechanic. That bike should easily jump in 3rd gear. Mine always did and I was about 135 when I was your age and owned one of them in 84. Remember it is a big bore and hence does require a good oompfph on the kicker.

Joe

http://www.huskyclub.com/model.htm acording to this there is a 84 wr 500. i know for a fact that it says wr 500 on the finders. and from what i have herd this modle was only made that one year... but i might be wrong....

if i put a pic. of the mag/fly. would that make it any easer for you to tell me what the heck i am doing wrong?

me messing with the timing means, i changed the mag/fly. after i did that i started to move it back and forth to see what ran the best. i got it to start twice by kicking it. but that was with no tank on, no left peg, no seat, and no side finder... and that took about ten min. of solid kicking to get it to fire the first time. so i was happy and put everything on it, went to kick it... and 30 min of kicking later gave up for the night.

when i have the plug out and kick it over it will not spark at all if i kick it in a normal fashion ( like my other honda bikes) but if i give it a good solid kick it sparks once or twice for the one kick. i dont think that is normal. do you? and when i am pullstarting it, the engine hasto be turning at a fast speed for it to fire... a lot faster than kicking will get it to.... why is that? could i have hooked something up wrong?

and i have taken it to a mac. friend. he says it looks ok, but doesnt think the spark is working right. (not working when its not kicked fast)

thanks!!!

i will get pic tonight. that should help out with my problem.

thanks for helping so far....

my Bad on the 84 WR500. Yes that was the only year of the WR500. I kept thinking about 83 WR as I still have 2 of them.

Does your bike look like this:

87674392edgklx_fs.jpg

Of course with a back fender loop and of course not new.

Joe

[ATTACH][ATTACH]HPIM0255.f.JPG[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

this is it.

HPIM0257d.JPG

HPIM0258e.JPG

Hi, Sorry didn't mean to confuse you (1200mile fix),

I was pretty sure that there was an 84 500 WR , but they soon went over to the 400 WR for enduro's.

looking at the photo it looks like you have a Motoplat MX ignition.

this may help in setting up the ignition.

Did your boss have it running in the past?, it may be just poor fuelling ,having been stood.

sorry - just thinking out loud, Charlie

I have a 500 auto that can be touchy to start.Get your timing back to standard spec if you can.Now when you kick start it, treat it like your kick a big 4 stroke.Push the kick lever with your foot untill it packs up on TDC.Now slowly get it just past TDC,and let your KS come back up.Now give it a good kick.This method always worked for me.

Hi, Sorry didn't mean to confuse you (1200mile fix),

I was pretty sure that there was an 84 500 WR , but they soon went over to the 400 WR for enduro's.

looking at the photo it looks like you have a Motoplat MX ignition.

this may help in setting up the ignition.

Did your boss have it running in the past?, it may be just poor fuelling ,having been stood.

sorry - just thinking out loud, Charlie

boss ran it for years. then decided that he would do some work on it.(piston.rings, exc...) when he tryed to get it started after puting everything together it would not start. then i got it. put the new mag/fly in it. im sure its not the coil cuz i have switched it with 3 others. and i checked the wires, from mag out, there is nothing rong with them.

as for gas i have it mixed about 30-35/1 with stihl 2stroke oil. what would you recomend?

My experience with a 420 Auto 2 stoke and timing is,if the timing is out it will kick back like crazy,you would notice your broken foot pretty quickly.Mine either starts fine or hurts you badly.I am thing you MIGHT have a lack of strong spark.BTW check your woodruf key on the flywheel.

On a bike of that age I would change the crank seals.Good chance they are leaking if they have not been done recently.With a new top end this would make it worse.

Joe

I dont know where you got your info from, but there WAS a WR model in 1984. In fact there were several 125-175-250-400-500 along with the XC & CR models. I may be wrong about the 175 because 1983 may have been the last year.

thanks for all the info. i have put this bike on the back burner for right now. i am picking up a new 08 te610 mon. and will be a little distracted. :prof:

See my post #9..........I had 1983 on my mind.........a "senior moment".