average shop cost to check/adjust valves

on a 02 WR250. I will be looking to get this done before summer and just wondering what you guys have payed for this. I will try it the next time it is due but I am just buying the bike and want it done right. I will see if I can hang out and maby give a hand doing this so I have a better understanding on this job. I have read the threads and writeups on it and everything already just want it done right if it even needs it. I know a few shop owners well enough that I don't think it would be a problem if I was there kinda watching or helping so I can learn.

got my 05 yz250f done last week they checked and no adjustment was required paid $55 nz so around $48 usd

Going to do it myself from now on as i now have a workshop manual :confused:

How much do the shims cost to buy ?

its like 65 dollars for the hotcams kit on ebay right now, or about 80 at a retail store.

but, from what I've read, dealers trade you shims. I don't know if its true, my dealer, Chaparral Motorsports DOES NOT, i repeat, DOES NOT CARRY INDIVIDUAL SHIMS. what kinda BS is that.

I would say do it yourself. It's a 15 minute job, 30 minutes if you go slow.

If you really don't want to then take the gas tank off before you take it to the dealer. That will save you some $$ since they won't be able to charge you labor for it.

Checking the valves is super easy, nearly anyone can do it in under an hour, many can do it in 15 minutes.

Re-shimming takes some knowledge and care. This takes an additional 30 to 60 minutes.

Pre-puling parts is an insignificant saving. Most dealers charge in a minimum of 15 minute intervals. Many simply charge a flat rate.

Some dealers may trade shims, most will not. If you do a lot of bikes, can afford to stock up so if you need a shim, it is on hand, then a kit is the way to go. Otherwise, you will have to buy individual shims. Most dealers will have to order them, cost is between $5 and $10 a shim.

Yep, it's easy to check the clearances (click here), and a little more involved to adjust the valve clearances (click here). You definitely should try to do it yourself to make sure it is done correctly. Get the right tools and you'll be good to go - it's easy.

Checking the valves is super easy, nearly anyone can do it in under an hour, many can do it in 15 minutes.

Re-shimming takes some knowledge and care. This takes an additional 30 to 60 minutes.

Pre-puling parts is an insignificant saving. Most dealers charge in a minimum of 15 minute intervals. Many simply charge a flat rate.

Some dealers may trade shims, most will not. If you do a lot of bikes, can afford to stock up so if you need a shim, it is on hand, then a kit is the way to go. Otherwise, you will have to buy individual shims. Most dealers will have to order them, cost is between $5 and $10 a shim.

I got the Pro Motion feeler gauges, OMG they are much nicer that ones you have to bend to get in, and probably more accurate because of that.

there not expensive and help. I got mine, range from .10-.20, they didn't have any lower, but I'm going to pick some up next time I go there.

$5-$10 dollars seems excessive to me. that means, if you were to adjust all my valves, it would cost 25-50 dollars :confused: . its way more cost effective to get the shim kit.

but good advice none the less

I can pull all my plastics, check the valves, put everything back together in under 30 minutes.

2 screws(bottom radiator screws to shrouds) 2 tank screws, 2 seat screws, 1 stretchy rubber thing on the tank~gets me to my cylinder head, then 2 bolts, its off, pre bent for small spaces feeler gauges, check, then put back together.

that has been my story every time I changed my oil, I checked my valve clearance, but I have to finally re shim 2 of the valves:cry: but that doesn't seem nearly as hard as fishing a bearing from my cam out of my chain guide. FREAKIN STUPID. I yanked my cam, it didn't want to come out, and it popped out when the cap popped off, I was actually pulling on the cap, now I pull on both, so the whole thing comes up and I don't loose anything. re shimming this weekend though!

The book says in order to check the valves, you have to drain radiator coolant, remove the right radiator, drain the oil, and take off the AIS stuff. Is any of that true or can you check the valve clearances w/o doing any of that crap?

You don't need to do any of that, just remove the seat, tank w/ shrouds, spark plug and valve cover. I did remove my upper motor mounts for room but I'm not sure if that's necessary. The valve cover is in there pretty tight against the frame but it'll come out.

That is a good point. I realize I offered that advice thinking not of the YZ250F but of the YFZ450 quad I used to own. In that case pre-pulling the tank and front fender plastic is recommended because it could take a bit of time to do.

i work at a shop as the service manager, and take all types of bikes in all the time for different requests and work to be performed.... on any regular day a customer brings in a YZ250F/450F requesting to have their valves adjusted, and nothing else, our charge is 2 hours, and here in new jersey shops are expensive - average rate is around $90-100/hr - we charge $89.00/hr so, in actual dollars and cents your looking at $178.00 + Tax... this would include checking and adjusting if needed, plus full reassembly including full disassy where you do not need to bring the bike in in a disassembled state. We also allow for shim swapping, and there will be no charge for shims used... for another 1.25 hours, so 3.25 hrs total, we will go over the entire bike from oil change/filter change/chain lube& adj/air filter servicing/carburetor adjustment/lube&adj all cables and controls/re-torque steering stem bearings/lubricate pivot points for brake/pegs/etc/retorque all motor mounts, nuts, bolts, fasteners/change spark plug/set tire pressure/check & tighten front and rear wheel spokes/check wheel true, correct if needed/bleed front fork air pressure/top off coolant/check brakes/check over any other necessary repairs & prepare quote if needed/complementary powerwashing and complete cleaning/detailing.... this would be for motocross bikes... basically a complete servicing from a-z.... obviously more costly than just a valve adjustment.... much of this can be learned and done on your own which is what a lot of people do to save money, but the professional knowledge and experience our staff has ensures you will be satisfied with what you pay for... so to many its worth it to have it done professionaly... even though i do a lot myself, i still let my main technician go over my race bike on a regular basis and he makes it feel new again for me.... so dont think all dealers are out to rip people off because its not the case.... especially taking into consideration the room for human error - you are handling delicate engine parts performing valve adjustments and have to be very percise... one dropped shim and your splitting cases to find it!!!!!

Or I could do all of that stuff myself...for free...in a few hours..and know it was done right, not by some guy who graduated high school with a 1.5 and could barely give a sh*t if he screws up my bike or not.