Sign in to follow this  

Help from Coke Oven area expert?

I was wondering if the road heading west from the Coke Ovens, along the river, near the train trestle, connects with Price Rd?

Can we get to Box Canyon road/wash from there?

Nothing shows on my map but some quad and SxS riders we met at the Coke ovens said it does.

Do you have to cross the river?

Can it be crossed on bikes?

Thanks,

Bob

You would have to cross the river at some point. Price Rd ends before it get's to the tunnel & bridge. You would have to be crazy enough to ride over a large train bridge and then through a tunnel. That- or get some pontoons for your bike and float it down the creek a bit. You can get to Box Canyon from the Coke Ovens but I doubt you can do it along the tracks.

You would have to cross the river at some point. Price Rd ends before it get's to the tunnel & bridge. You would have to be crazy enough to ride over a large train bridge and then through a tunnel. That- or get some pontoons for your bike and float it down the creek a bit. You can get to Box Canyon from the Coke Ovens but I doubt you can do it along the tracks.

I have heard people talk about going down the tracks & through the tunnel in both directions. I guess you put an ear to the track to make sure the train is not comming. Sounds a little risky.

other than finding a shallow spot in the river you would have to ride all the way around. I have not found a shallow spot in the river yet.

I am no expert on that area but I went riding with a couple of guys that were. You can cross the river by that bridge pretty easily (nothing worse than what we have crossed at Syc Creek). We also went over the bridge on the train tracks, which was a very weird feeling.

There are guys that ride out there all the time that will help you out. You can also check out http://www.ridingarizona.com

Thanks all!

Well, if we can't cross the river, we'll just backtrack to the north.

Riding thru the tunnel would be cool but I read that they sometimes patrol the other end and if you get caught they impound your bike. Don't think we'll chance that or meeting a train!!

Ive ridden along the tracks to box canyon after crossing the river...over the trestle and through the tunnel...thats doable....but....

Crossing the river can be tricky...Its probably a little high now too....You gotta know where to cross...the bottom changes all the time..

Ive ridden along the tracks to box canyon after crossing the river...over the trestle and through the tunnel...thats doable....but....

Crossing the river can be tricky...Its probably a little high now too....You gotta know where to cross...the bottom changes all the time..

We had quads go across in front of us LOL