DRZ400SM Tire Question...

I have an '05 DRZ400SM and want to put some more off-road capable tires on it. I've read all kinds of threads about changing wheels and suspension and quite frankly don't have the time or money for it, nor am I motivated enough. The stock rear tire is 140/70-17. I've found a Metzeler Karoo 2 that comes in both 130/80-17 and 150/70-17. I'm assuming this is a stupid question but would either of these tires work? Do they not fit the rim because its so wide? Pretend like you're talking to a moron.

I'm in the same boat. I just bought an '05 SM and want to put some dirt tires on it without changing the wheel set-up. I know they make them, but they're hard to find and I don't know what will fit. Look at rockymountainatv.com. They have the popular Dunlop 606 dual sport tire for a 17" wheel. Would we run the same size tire up front and back? Also how do the dimensions for the tire read. For example what is 130/90X17? 130 is the width of the tire and 17 is the diameter of the wheel right? What does the 90 mean?

I know that the numbers mean the following: width/height (percentage of width)-diameter. I just don't know if the wide rims on the SM limit your choices further.

I just ordered a set of maxxis presa/goldspeeds M6118front and M6119rear for my DRZ. I have heard lots of good reviews of these tires so I will give them a try.

maxxis.jpg

I just scored some King's Tire 80 dirt/20 street DOT legal knobbies from the TT store. Sitting in the shop waiting mounting. I'll post back when I get some more experience with the tires.

So far, the best thing about them is they were pretty cheap. :confused:

I just ordered a set of maxxis presa/goldspeeds M6118front and M6119rear for my DRZ. I have heard lots of good reviews of these tires so I will give them a try.

maxxis.jpg

Where did you order from???? I can't find anybody who carries Goldspeed in the US.

Where did you order from???? I can't find anybody who carries Goldspeed in the US.

Go to the maxxis website, go to products, scroll down to motorcycle and click, click the drop-down menu under racing, and the Presa M6118 and Presa M6119 are in the list.

To order go to the FAQ and they detail how to order there:

"The Maxxis Supermotard tires are available thru MTA: 1-800-251-0640, and MTA West: 1-800-231-8529."

As said on the Maxxis website.

I've found a Metzeler Karoo 2 that comes in both 130/80-17 and 150/70-17.

Matty, I think those tires would work, but those sizes only come in the rear tire the front tire doesn't come sized for 17" wheels. The Maxxis website says that a front tire shouldn't be used on the rear and a rear tire shouldn't be used on the front, so I don't think these will work unless you want to use a rear tire on the front and rear.

Since we're talking about tires; about how miles should tires last? Still have my stock tires on just, but was woundering when I should expect replace them.

I could only find one place that carried these tires in Canada. I ordered them from the KIMPEX catalogue at my local bike shop. Every place I talked to in the states or over seas said they don't ship to Canada.

Both of these companys carrie these tires that I know of in the states. I havn't heard back from moto sport xperts if they can ship me another set to Canada if I like them www.motosportxperts.com . And Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse carries these tires but doesn't have them on thier website www.mawonline.com . I am getting prices from MAW tomorrow on these maxxis tires.

Matty, I think those tires would work, but those sizes only come in the rear tire the front tire doesn't come sized for 17" wheels. The Maxxis website says that a front tire shouldn't be used on the rear and a rear tire shouldn't be used on the front, so I don't think these will work unless you want to use a rear tire on the front and rear.

I was just curious about the rear. I'm going with the Avon Distanzia for the front. It boggles my mind that so few tire manufacturers make sets that fit both the front and rear on this bike. You're almost forced to mix and match brands. Oh well. Heres a pic from my ride today, hope it works. The stock tires made it....barely.257644241O331665960.jpg

FWIW I will be ordering the Pirelli MT60R tires. The tread should be good on and off road.

Branden

FWIW I will be ordering the Pirelli MT60R tires. The tread should be good on and off road.

Branden

I just mounted these tires. And so far I like them. I am actually using them on my back up track bike. I needed something I can use on the race track and still go to the off road park to shoot.

In the dirt and grass, they have been really nice. I have yet to ride in any sloppy mud. But in the muddy grass around VIR they were great.

ON the street I have been able to drag the pegs without any scary moments. On the brakes the bike will still endo like with a pure street tire. I think they will do almost as well as your average rains on the track. But I am worried about the tires edge. About 1/4 inch from the edge there is a lip/line that worries me. I will know more after March 30th when I try it on a real track. I will update this post afterwards......Dennis

That pic is bad ass! How'd you get everything black and white but the yellow???

That pic is bad ass! How'd you get everything black and white but the yellow???

Just a color isolation feature on the camera. By the way, I had the tires installed today and the Metzeler Karoo 2 in the 130/80-17 size fits fine on the rear. I'll post a picture of the bike with the new, more off-road capable tires when I get a chance.

Just a color isolation feature on the camera. By the way, I had the tires installed today and the Metzeler Karoo 2 in the 130/80-17 size fits fine on the rear. I'll post a picture of the bike with the new, more off-road capable tires when I get a chance.

Did you get the same size 130/80-17 for the front as well? It wood look burley if you put the 130/80-17 in the front and the 150/70-17 in the rear. JMO

Did you get the same size 130/80-17 for the front as well? It wood look burley if you put the 130/80-17 in the front and the 150/70-17 in the rear. JMO

No, on the front I put an Avon Distanzia 120/70-17. It's not quite as knobby as I would have liked but I was having alot more trouble with the rear tire sliding than I was with the front. I'll try to post a pic within a day or two.

Heres a pic from my ride today, hope it works.

It's kind of hard to see the bike. Could you post a bigger version? :confused:

Hey there. Checking back in on the 17" Kings Tire knobbies on SM rims.

I just got them mounted today, and took it for a brief road ride. Yikes, they feel super bizarre on the street. Also, they have really, really reduced traction on pavement -- a modest rear brake application will cause a skid, and wheelies are just out of the question.

The main problem is that despite being 17", they're not designed for wide road wheels, they're sized for narrow dirt wheels. When they're inflated, the bead spreads a LOT, which changes the profile of the tread, making it flatter.

The width problem seems so obvious now, but it completely escaped me when I ordered them.

I'm doing a dual-sport ride this weekend, and it's been rainy here, so undoubtedly it will be muddy. I'll report again on how they work. Honestly, I think I'm ready to blow the big bucks on a set of dirt wheels.