Ten XR Questions

I'm a noob with 10 questions. I have a 1982 XR200R. Thanks for answers!

1) What is the difference between the XR200 and XR200R?

2) What weight engine oil should I use?

3) Can this bike be made street-legal?

4) Can I get a larger gas tank?

5) Which owners/repair will work for me? - Honda XL/XR200-600, 1978-1986: Service, repair, performance ?

6) Can you put an electric starter on this bike?

7) What cable speedometer will work with this bike? I found the cable but not the speedometer itself.

8) What's the correct air pressure in the forks?

9) Can I stiffen the rear monoshock?

10) Reccomend some good cosmetic and performance upgrades...

XR200R has MONO SHOCK pro-link rear suspension, XR200 has DUAL SHOCKS

XR200R has plastic gas tank, XR200 has steel gas tank

XR200R has black engine, XR200 has silver engine.

most likely in many states.

5) Which owners/repair will work for me? - Honda XL/XR200-600, 1978-1986: Service, repair, performance ?

don't think so

7) What cable speedometer will work with this bike? I found the cable but not the speedometer itself.

plastics: http://www.maier-mfg.com/shop.cfm?action=list&page=list.cfm&criteria=701&makeid=10&modelid=106&modelyear=1982

http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=158&Itemid=77

check out the XR200R mod guide: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418140

I'm a noob with 10 questions. I have a 1982 XR200R. Thanks for answers!

1- What Xrfreak said. Will add though that Honda went to silver engines on the xr200r a few years later

2-10-30, 10-40, or 30wt will all do fine. I use 20-50 in mine.

3-depends on the state. Not in mine it can't

4- Don't know. I do know these will run forever on the 2 gallons allotted though.

5-Clymers for that year will work fine. I've had a 80, 83, 84, 87, and currently have a 90 and 93. Very little changes except for the 84-85. The 81-83 did have a bigger cam that gave the little engine a fair amount of grunt. The 87-91 had better suspension then in 92 Honda decided to market the bike to kids and lowered the suspension.

6- NO

7- Most all mechanical speedometers for bikes will interchange just fine. I've used Yamaha's with good results.

8- 0-3 psi. I use 0 and just use the valves for releasing pressure from heat expansion

9- you can get stiffer springs, or tighten the spring you have, but I would recommend getting a mid-80's xr250 shock or a 87-91 xr200r shock for better travel.

10- What xrfreak said and just do some googling.

Sounds like you bought the wrong bike foryou!
X's 2

Just enjoy the bike as is......... everything else is just turd polshing :confused:

Old School Jeff races a xr200r that has had a bit of engine work and suspension work, but not much of either and does quite well. He took 4th out of 75 guys in the 250 class the first of the year in a HS in southern Washington. All the other bikes were late model modern units. They are not quite the turd many would think.

Old School Jeff races a xr200r that has had a bit of engine work and suspension work, but not much of either and does quite well. He took 4th out of 75 guys in the 250 class the first of the year in a HS in southern Washington. All the other bikes were late model modern units. They are not quite the turd many would think.

Then, do what he did to your bike.

Remember though....... Its not so much the bike as the rider.

I did Qualifer on a CRF230 in the A class, I didnt finish last either........... some people didnt finish :confused:

I like this bike because it starts up every time, it's simple enough for me to work on and it was free. Besides the fact that I'd like a headlight, speedometer and to be able to drive it on the street it's perfect. I also have to pay personal property tax on it so the older the better.

I have wanted a KLR-650 for a long time but if I can get this thing on the road I will be satisfied. Looks like the only thing standing in my way is the title issue. Thanks for the help guys. Keep it coming!

Get any manual. I like Honda manuals better than the aftermarket ones.

Search for "fork emulators".

The stock fork is about as sophisticated as a pogo stick.

The great thing about an XR200 is you kick it once or twice and it goes brrrrrrrrr.

Maintenance is minimal. They are best left nearly stock.

If you want to sink a lot of money into a bike, I would start with an XR250.