Need help - No Title

I have an old bike that I bought many years ago to be ridden around the farm. I never got the title. Now I'm interested in titling it and turning it into a dual-purpose bike. How difficult will the titling and registration be?

Before you ask... I know for a fact that it isn't stolen. I live in Missouri. The guy I bought it from didn't have the title and the bike was assembled from spare parts. We picked the frame up from a local shop with no title. All VIN numbers are intact and I know make, model and year. I MAY be able to contact the guy I bought it from but he never had a title either.

Thanks for any help.

I have an old bike that I bought many years ago to be ridden around the farm. I never got the title. Now I'm interested in titling it and turning it into a dual-purpose bike. How difficult will the titling and registration be?

Before you ask... I know for a fact that it isn't stolen. I live in Missouri. The guy I bought it from didn't have the title and the bike was assembled from spare parts. We picked the frame up from a local shop with no title. All VIN numbers are intact and I know make, model and year. I MAY be able to contact the guy I bought it from but he never had a title either.

Thanks for any help.

Call any place that registers bikes and they will have all of the info you need to get a reconstructed title.

I do not think it matters...It's a dirtbike...I think you could sell it...

edit.....I did not see that you want to title it...for DP....my bad

I used to live in Mo and here's something you may run into. They don't like people buying a bike and then not paying the sales tax and things for several months or years. Your supposed to do it within like 30 days or they will penalize you. Many states do this.

I'm not saying what you should do, but it would be better if just bought this like two weeks ago.

Yea, I was wondering about that. Actually, I didn't buy it. It was given to me after I paid a friend some money for some parts we had to buy and his time. He pretty much built the bike with both of our money, then later he decided I should have it. Jeez, how can you explain that on a title application? :confused:

Maybe you can find the bill of sale he gave you from like two weeks ago. If it was a trade, I would think they are going to want you to pay sales tax on the market value. I'm sure you could work with that some, but they probably would not except say $38.00 .

Might be easier to title in Ar. first then transfer it to Mo. Past dealings with Mo. dmv have not been good for me. Just need rcpts. for parts and call it "HOME BUILT" they will issue a new vin #. But sometimes the costs and headaches just ain`t worth it.:confused::excuseme:

yea your screwed. trying to get a title for anything that dont have a title is next to impossible in MO. the DMV will tell you the previous owner who sold it to you or got it from sold it illegally, all motor vehicles are to be sold with a title and registered in the 30 days. broadwaytitles.com is your best bet. basically you will "sell" the bike to this titling agency and they will send you all the paperwork to get a title in MO. or you can try OK, if you have a good freind or family member that can file for a title for you in their name in OK then have them sign the title over to you. i think the same for KS also. i know OK and KS its easy to get a title for.

I checked into that site. Looks like they know what they're doing.

I also looked around the internet for a frame. I have a 1982 Honda XR200R and found a '84, '85, 88 and a '90. None of these have titles but all say they come with a Bill of Sale. Could this help me? I'm not sure if any of them would swap directly over but...

In some states, you would have to pay back taxes from the time you took possession of the bike to the time you plated it. Just something to look out for.

Well, I just found two titled XL185S frames for sale. One is a '79 and the other is an '83. Would either of these work for a complete parts swap?