Sign in to follow this  

OffRoad gncc tech inspection/kickstands ok?

I will be racing a KTM 450 XC-f in a few of the gncc's later this season. A friend of mine pointed out the kickstand, and said it would need to be removed to pass tech inspection. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Don't want to take it off if I don't have to. Thanks.

imho, what is a kickstand doing on a race bike???

i had a racing buddy (barry) that raced against me 2 years ago on a wr450f. in the sand whoops at a harescramble the kickstand came down.

on the bottom of the next whoop (with kickstand down) the bike ejected barry off like a jack-in-the-box and poor barry had to limp in that lap. i remember him muttering something about nutz and his chin, but that may have been the concussion talking.

Take it off-I take mine off. Its just one more thing to go wrong.I just bolt it back up when I go trail riding.

I've never had an issue with mine. When I'm racing I usually use the strap to hold it up but I don't even do that all the time. They didn't say anything at the Ironman when I raced it last fall. I don't think it's on the GNCC radar

GNCC tech won't care. I've raced with it in the past and didn't have any problems. The retention loop that comes on the KTM will keep it secure. If you are worried, it's only a couple bolts and a minute to take it off.

Thanks fellas. The stand is awesome and it falling down is the least of my worries. I was just trying to avoid any last minute hassles. I have had her on the mx track a few times and I safety-wired it to the subframe real quik just in case. takes like 20 sec to wire and 5 sec to snip it off when I'm done. I think it's much easier than bolting/unbolting all the time. For offroad the rubber strap works great.

imho, what is a kickstand doing on a race bike???

i had a racing buddy (barry) that raced against me 2 years ago on a wr450f. in the sand whoops at a harescramble the kickstand came down.

on the bottom of the next whoop (with kickstand down) the bike ejected barry off like a jack-in-the-box and poor barry had to limp in that lap. i remember him muttering something about nutz and his chin, but that may have been the concussion talking.

Ouch. sounds like poor Barry should have secured his equipment b4 the race to prevent damaging HIS EQUIPMENT during the race :excuseme: I'm not a newb my friend I'd never run a race with a stand unless I know it's secure. Unlike the WR, the KTM stand is very streamlined and has a trick retaining loop to keep it in place. My specific question was about the rulebook not safety :confused:

Yes they will ask you to remove it if it is not tied up. If you have a KTM with the rubber strap then you are good otherwise you will be asked to remove it or you can tape it up or something. I had them bug me every race the other year when I raced mw CRFX.