Replacing fork oil on 86 CR80...

Thought I'd ask here...nobody in the suspension forum was biting...

My shorter buddy rides a 86 CR80, and I we find the forks a bit soft, so I think that I should change the fork oil to freshen it up...I've never done this as I usually get Pro-Action to do my YZ forks, but the forks look simple enough. Do I have to take the forks out of the triples to do this? After I drain them, I pop the top off them, and add the recomended amount, then I should be cool, right? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

That would work fine. Drain from the bottom, re-fill from the top. The only problem is residual oil might make your measurements off and cause some odd handling/feel from the bars when riding. If you measure using oil-height, you should be able to get a more balanced reading.

JM

EDIT: New springs might do more for the squishines than new oil though ~

JM

Thanks dude, much appreciated. My buddy finds the suspension fine, as he's only 125 lbs...I find it soft, but I'm 160 lbs. When measuring the oil, I might have to do it by the volume, as the manual I have does not have a height measure, just the amount to be added...do you know the height from the top possibly? Also, do I do this with the bike up on a stand, or on the ground? I'm thinking on a stand?! Thanks again:thumbsup:

Thought I'd ask here...nobody in the suspension forum was biting...

My shorter buddy rides a 86 CR80, and I we find the forks a bit soft, so I think that I should change the fork oil to freshen it up...I've never done this as I usually get Pro-Action to do my YZ forks, but the forks look simple enough. Do I have to take the forks out of the triples to do this? After I drain them, I pop the top off them, and add the recomended amount, then I should be cool, right? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dont listen to the above advice...draining from that bottom hole will make a huge ass mess.

yes, you must take the forks out to drain them.

take your front wheel off.

remove teh guards and front brake assembly.

loosen the top set of triple clamps.

release any air in the forks.

Then loosen but do not take off the top of the fork cap. If you do not loosen the t-clamp you will jack up the fork cap.

then loosen the bottom clamps - you kept them tight so that you could loosen the top of hte fork cap.

now, remove the forks.

remove the fork caps....there will be a spacer and a fork spring. pulll that out.

Dump out the oil. If you dont have a manual you should dump the oil into a measuring device so you an get a baseline of how much to put back in.

Since this is an old beater, you dont really need to dissassemble the whole fork.

put fresh oil in. You COULD use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF with good results. You'll need to find a manual or value of how much to put back in. You'll want to put oil in then extend the fork tube adn collapse it a couple of times to get the air out of the bottom valve assembly. Then double check you measurements.

You typically measure the fork oil height by collapsing the fork completely with the springs out and measuring from the top of the fork to where the oil is. < this is the best method to ensure you have the same amount of oil in each fork.

reverse assembly to finish. Easy as pie.

Alright, cool...much appreciated. I do have a manual for the bike...the original Honda shop manual. The bike isn't really a beater...it's actually in excellent shape. I went over the whole bike over the winter, but I've never gone into the suspension myself, it's the only area that confuses me..the rest is all no problem (engine rebuild etc...) Thanks again.

Flush out the forks with some mineral spirits to get the old gunk out. Then follow the manual with regards to fresh oil.

And yeah, it probably needs new fork springs at this point.

I wouldn't remove them either. Just use the drain bolt at the bottom. Support the bike, put a pan under neath to catch it, if your worried about spilling put down a piece of cardboard. Why take it all apart?

Now if the oil comes out murky or with flakes, then thats a different story.

Thanks guys...much appreciated.

just to be clear, are these upside down or comventional forks. If not upside down drain from the bottom drain bolt, thats what it is there for. Pump them a few times with the bolt out and it will squirt out. Then let it set and drain some and then pump again, repeat till all out. Then remove top cap and refill with recommended amount. If upside down forks, remove as Motogoalie said.