Sign in to follow this  

Anyone thinking of going back to a 4 ???

As far as absolute lap times go- it's my understanding that the 250Fs turn faster lap times on the local tracks than the 450Fs on race day. I was recently told 2 sec/ lap faster at my local track.

I'm 2s all the way but for fast lap times for a non-Pro maybe the 250F offers that best medium for tractibility/ hp/ etc...?

PS. I'll never go back 4 stroke and I ride my 250 2 stroke much faster and for longer than I ever could ride my 450F. Plus it is way more fun.

It is a bit biased asking 2t riders if they would go back to 4t. Most here are here because they prefer 2t . Go ask a 4t rider if he would go back to a 2t .Probably not.

I am a fence sitter and find merrit in each. I enjoy riding both.

It is a bit biased asking 2t riders if they would go back to 4t. Most here are here because they prefer 2t . Go ask a 4t rider if he would go back to a 2t .Probably not.

I am a fence sitter and find merrit in each. I enjoy riding both.

+1, both are awsome and I'll take either. Go back and forth and enjoy them both. That or own one of each, if it's an option.....

I'm big on the "have one of each" idea (check my signature). I love both my bikes, the hardest thing about having both is deciding which one to ride each time I load up the truck. :confused:

I've had some of my riding buddies swear I'm faster on the smoker, and others swear I'm faster on the thumper. Personally I think it just depends on how I'm riding day to day, nor what I'm riding. :prof:

Tell you what though, I might do without the thumper if I could replace it with an 08 250 XCWe. :bonk:

well for me, I am WAY faster for WAY longer on my 200 than I am on my 525. I use less energy in the tight stuff and feel like I am better in the muddy stuff with the lighter weight. I am one who likes both, has both, but if I had to choose just 1? EASY--2 STROKE any day.

I prefer the smooth power of the thumpers. I notice that most riders like to throw the bike around and roost out of turns. I think for these people, the 2-stroke is best. The "flickability" factor is important for these people.

Me I like to arc the bike into turns, this style favors the 4-strokes, where you can control the rear wheel drift with the smoother motor. I don't need or want the flickability. Flickable bikes are also "busy" and take a lot effort to control.

Im refering to a 450 4t against a 250 2t. The 4t will absolutely rule on a mx track.

You base this on........???? They (Pro MX riders) ride the 4T because that's what they are TOLD to ride. They get an 80% displacement factor. Yeah, that's fair. Local track guys ride what their buddies and the pros ride, plus they LOVE the displacement advantage.

Yet and still, James Stewart and Michael Byrne were the last 2 riders on 4T's. The RESULTS show them to be NO BETTER in finishing position than on the 2T'. Go look at the results.

You drank the Kool-Aid, the 4T lie. Most guys on 4T's think they are faster on them. Most are not. So yes, if you go to the 4T forums they are all on the same Kool-Aid so the answer will be like yours. Don't mean to be rude, but thruth is truth.

Friends don't let friends ride four strokes.

I prefer the smooth power of the thumpers. I notice that most riders like to throw the bike around and roost out of turns. I think for these people, the 2-stroke is best. The "flickability" factor is important for these people.

Me I like to arc the bike into turns, this style favors the 4-strokes, where you can control the rear wheel drift with the smoother motor. I don't need or want the flickability. Flickable bikes are also "busy" and take a lot effort to control.

I simply have to disagree. This is true when comparing an MX 2 stroke, but a woods oriented 2 stroke, IMO, is much easier to ride smoothly. The lack of that herky jerky engine braking and extra rotating mass makes me anything but smooth on them. I crashed way more on the 4T than I do on the 2T, and I ride like you.

I simply have to disagree. This is true when comparing an MX 2 stroke, but a woods oriented 2 stroke, IMO, is much easier to ride smoothly. The lack of that herky jerky engine braking and extra rotating mass makes me anything but smooth on them. I crashed way more on the 4T than I do on the 2T, and I ride like you.

You might be right dude. Watts is noted for his smooth style, and he prefers the 2-smoke. Then again Summers thoought the thumper was best for his smooth style. So who knows? It's really an interesting question.

I owned strictly 2-strokes through the 90's and was allways trying to smooth them out. Since then I've been mostly 4-stroke. I keep thinking I might like a 2-stroke, but whenever I buy one it gets sold in a few months because I just don't feel comfortable on them. The thumper feels more planted and less likely to spin out of control to me.

I do like the quite and low cost of the 2-smoke though.

Funny thing is I'm thinking about riding a 250exc in the Setra enduro's next season and just seeing how I compare to the last couple of seasons. :prof:

Funny thing is I'm thinking about riding a 250exc in the Setra enduro's next season and just seeing how I compare to the last couple of seasons. :bonk:

we just need to get together and ride sometime. Have you had the opportunity to ride the EXC, or has your experience been more MX bike related?

There's no definitive answer, it just depends on the individual rider.:prof:

we may be coming down to CAW this year sometime, so who knows.:confused:

I would never own a MX version 2st, then again I would not really want the 4st in MX trim either. These KTM (trail EXC/XC/XCW) 2st are very smooth however, in fact every bit as much as the 4st.

we just need to get together and ride sometime. Have you had the opportunity to ride the EXC, or has your experience been more MX bike related?

There's no definitive answer, it just depends on the individual rider.:prof:

we may be coming down to CAW this year sometime, so who knows.:bonk:

I had a 2002 200exc for about 6 months and never got on with it.

I also recently had a 2006 GasGas ec300. Just didn't like it as much as my KTM400. I only rode it a little bit before turning it around though because I didn't want to blow my re-sale to much. I probably could have raced it a few times to get used to it.

The 300 GASGAS was a little too strong for me, so now I've got my eyes on a friends 2006 250xc-w that's in like new condition.

Let me know when you come to CAW I'm allways up for riding:thumbsup:

Ivan Haynes

I also recently had a 2006 GasGas ec300. Just didn't like it as much as my KTM400. I only rode it a little bit before turning it around though because I didn't want to blow my re-sale to much. I probably could have raced it a few times to get used to it.

The 300 GASGAS was a little too strong for me, so now I've got my eyes on a friends 2006 250xc-w that's in like new condition.

Ivan Haynes

Too bad about the Gasgas. My 300 is by far the best, most maintainence free, smoothest and most controllable power of any bike I've ever ridden and I've been at it for almost 40 years now. It is happy lugging around in 1st or 2nd gear, lugging up hills or cruising 75-80mph on the forest roads.

I had a 2002 200exc for about 6 months and never got on with it.

Let me know when you come to CAW I'm allways up for riding:thumbsup:

Ivan Haynes

I'll keep ya in mind when we plan something.:prof: I found the 300 to be too much for around here, also. I think after having this 200 a little while, the 250 is the perfect blend of both.

I would never own a MX version 2st, then again I would not really want the 4st in MX trim either. These KTM (trail EXC/XC/XCW) 2st are very smooth however, in fact every bit as much as the 4st.

I agree, wish I afford an orange bike. :prof:

You base this on........???? They (Pro MX riders) ride the 4T because that's what they are TOLD to ride. They get an 80% displacement factor. Yeah, that's fair. Local track guys ride what their buddies and the pros ride, plus they LOVE the displacement advantage.

Yet and still, James Stewart and Michael Byrne were the last 2 riders on 4T's. The RESULTS show them to be NO BETTER in finishing position than on the 2T'. Go look at the results.

You drank the Kool-Aid, the 4T lie. Most guys on 4T's think they are faster on them. Most are not. So yes, if you go to the 4T forums they are all on the same Kool-Aid so the answer will be like yours. Don't mean to be rude, but thruth is truth.

Friends don't let friends ride four strokes.

My reference to a 450 4t being better is based on the top riders in national and international competition , not your club events.

Not all are forced to ride the 4t. Many top privateers choose the 4t as well , when in reality a win is a win so they would choose what is more competitive.

I ride both and let me say the 4t lays down more power sooner and with better traction. These are vital factors needed to win a race.

Its ok if you prefer 2t and and believe in the kool aid theory. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Its ok if you prefer 2t and and believe in the kool aid theory. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That's funny, The Kool Aide theory is that 4T has more/better traction. You're right though, everyone has there opinion.

That's funny, The Kool Aide theory is that 4T has more/better traction. You're right though, everyone has there opinion.

My wrong. Should have worded as" dibelieve" in kool aid theory.

And I am obviously one of the vast majority who believes in it.