Sign in to follow this  

Hitch mounted motorcycle haulers

I have seen these things all over the internet, but I was wondering if you guys knew anywhere that stocks them? Example: Autozone, Advanced Auto, Napa, Etc.

Heres a picture of what I'm talking about.

41DFE3PPXRL._AA280_.jpg

Most bike shops stock some variation of the concept, but usually I see the hydraulic lift models. Most auto parts stores have cargo carriers that could be modified to work, but I recommend searching here for what others have been happy with and buy that model. Most manufactures offer great prices online and shipping is surprisingly reasonable.

I got that exact one last week at Pepboys. Paid $149 It's ok I know there are better,but it was time to ride and I need it right then.I just need to make the ramp longer,with my lifted truck I can't get my bike up it.

Get the cheap AMC aluminum one off e-bay from discount ramps. I paid $100 shipped and it is awesome:thumbsup:

If I put that on my Jeep Cherokee is there any chance the hitch reciever would break off or is it totally safe.

If I put that on my Jeep Cherokee is there any chance the hitch reciever would break off or is it totally safe.

Should be good as long as you have a class 3 hitch. I haul my TE 450 with mine on the back of a Isuzu Rodeo.

Should be good as long as you have a class 3 hitch. I haul my TE 450 with mine on the back of a Isuzu Rodeo.

I'm guessing Cherokees come with class 3 hitches? Its a 97 I believe if it matters. Haven't actually seen it yet, but I get my liscence on monday and I want to be able to haul my bike with it.

Most Trucks and SUV are class III while Mini Vans and Cars are class II. A class III will have max 500lbs for toung load and class II is something like 350 lbs. So either way you should be good for your dirt bike.

As long as it has a 2 inch reciver it will be a class 3 or more

The class 1 OR 2 have a 1 1/4 or flat bar reciver.

I use one and it work great, allthough mine is rather heavy. You need to make sure you have some good straps on each side of the bike. I did notice it wobbled allot, but I just bought a anti-wobble clamp from www.hitchrider.com that works great and eliminated all the movement.

I bought a Versa Haul for my rig. The Versa Haul is a bit spendy, but the quality of the hauler is top notch. It comes with an anti-wobble setup for the receiver and I've been hauling my KTM on there on bumpy roads and highways, and it is rock solid. One of the many things I like about the Versa Haul is the fact that it had tie down points both on the front and rear of the hauler.

I have been making my own out of a piece of C-perlin. I weld everything up similiar to what you see in the stores..The main differnce is I use turn buckles to the foot pegs of the bike. I dont use any straps and havent lost a bike in 10 years.

I used one on my old Cherokee, no problems

Check this post out. Some good ideas. I built mine super cheap and it is 10 times stronger then anything I have seen commercially. Just did 3000 miles with it hauling my WR450. I was on all kinds of roads from two lane twisty up and and down stuff to interstate, and it worked great with no flaws. I have seen some pretty junky stuff for sale at twice to three times the cost. But if you don't have a welder or friend to weld it I guess you need to buy one.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599918