really bad bog after ap mod and quick shot

the bike:

2006 honda crf250r stock motor

I just recently installed a boysen quick shot and did the ap mod too. now the bike bogs really bad. i messed with the fuel screw and got it about 3.5 turns out and it seems to be getting a little better. but still bad.

i think i need a new leak jet i have the stock in wich i think is a 55 but not sure. what should i do?

thanks

Did you mess with the AP timing screw, or did you just wire it and leave it at the stock setting? Because if you messed with the timing screw, I would set it back to stock.

Try a size 40 or 45 leak jet.

But first. Adjust the fuel screw properly. Turn it in until the bike idles rough/lower. Then turn it out (richer, counterclockwise) until the bike idles higher and the crispest. Test by blipping the throttle.

On my 08 with a 45 leak jet and a 168 Main jet, I can blip the throttle from zero to full when the bike is warm and on the stand without any bog.

Get the R&D power pump with ALJ. Makes life much easier.

I killed the bog on our '06 with a 170 main/42 pilot/AP mod/R&D ALJ. Once its -fully- warmed up. No bog at all.

Did you mess with the AP timing screw, or did you just wire it and leave it at the stock setting? Because if you messed with the timing screw, I would set it back to stock.

no i did not touch the ap timing screw. it is still at stock setting. i just remebered that i still have my cold weather main jet in wich is a 175. the temperature around here has gone up like 30* in the last week. i will put in a 170 and see if it helps.

But first. Adjust the fuel screw properly. Turn it in until the bike idles rough/lower. Then turn it out (richer, counterclockwise) until the bike idles higher and the crispest. Test by blipping the throttle.

thats basicly what i did and it took about 3.5 turns out of minor ajustments and blipping the throttle before it started to get better, wich tells me that i have some jetting problems.

What do you have in there for pilot jet, you should not have that screw out 3.5 turns you are at risk of it just backing out. It should never be more that 3 turns out with out you changing the pilot jet. That 06 wants a 42 to 45 pilot. Let us know what the pilot is and make sure it is clean.

i have a 55 leak in my 05.

I just put a 45 leak jet in my '04 and it made a huge difference. Click over to the Jetting forum and do a search on bogging, or post your carb specs. Eddie's advice will prove to be a solid foundation to set the proper jetting.

andy t.

well i ordered a 45 leak cuz none of the 5 bike shops in town keep leak jets in stock. it will be here next week and i will let you guys know how it works.

thanks for all there advice

Try a size 40 or 45 leak jet.

On my 08 with a 45 leak jet and a 168 Main jet, I can blip the throttle from zero to full when the bike is warm and on the stand without any bog.

Did you leave the stock pilot, needle/position?

I just put an R&D ALJ set to a 45 and a 178 main in my 08 the rest is stock. It has a very bag bog coming off idle, but OK if it is above idle.

any thoughts

also what temperature is it where you are?

Case and point why you do the R&D or the TM!!! Sorry dont mean do dig on your problem.

When you did the ap mod did you grind the rivet??? you cant get it to work with out binding unless you either grind the rivet or adjust the screw. If you did grind the rivet you need to go up on the leak jet. Try a 70.

i know this is an old post but i figured i would post what i did to fix it in case someone els down the road has the same problem. the problem turned out to be the stupid quick shot accelerator pump cover. took that off and installed the stock one again and it hasnt bogged once in two years! closest thing to fuel injection with out having fuel injection. lol

What is the so screw stock setting need to reset mine

"Ap".