Brand New DR650!

Greetings--After several weeks of nonstop shopping and research I finally purchased a new 08' Black DR650. I have only put a few miles on it so far, but it seems like a fun bike. Compared to my old Concours, it feels like a large mountain bike! I have a few questions for folks:

1. Is it safe to rejet and pipe it before the engine is fully broken in? I want to get a bit more sound and power. Will the bike run ok with a pipe and K&N filter without rejetting?

2. Do the DR650 valves often need adjusting at the 600 mile service? The dealer said they usually don't bother with this. I do my own maintainance so I'll probably check to be safe.

3. Has anyone figured out a clever way to permanantly carry documents and other small items such as sunglasses in a secure manner (not in the little tool holder)?

4. For folks that have had the bike lowered at the dealer (had mine done), how far up did they raise the forks? Mine seem maybe a bit high--not sure if this will have a negative effect on handling.

thanks,

dave

:excuseme: I would wait at least 200 miles before moding,change oil&filter at 75-100 miles,use non syn oil till at least 2000 miles.very throttle settings,have fun.:sweden::crazy::p:excuseme: can't wait to pick mine up....:confused:

I'll try and answer what I can.

1. Is it safe to rejet and pipe it before the engine is fully broken in? I want to get a bit more sound and power.

It should be safe, but it's probably better to wait until it's broken in just to let all the internal parts get situated and seated. If you do rejet, just make sure to go through the proper break in procedure as usual (vary RPMs, make sure to use all the gears, no WOT) and I can't imagine there being any issues. Then again, rejetting and a pipe is a recipe for hooliganism! :confused:

Will the bike run ok with a pipe and K&N filter without rejetting?

Will you be modding the airbox as well? Either way, it will run but it will be lean, more so with an airbox mod. You'll definitely want to shim the stock needle with a small washer (thicker washer with airbox mod) to fatten up the mid range and maybe even go a bit richer on the main. You will probably have to adjust the fuel screw as well.

2. Do the DR650 valves often need adjusting at the 600 mile service? The dealer said they usually don't bother with this. I do my own maintainance so I'll probably check to be safe.

I had my service done at the dealer (for warranty purposes) and they did not have to adjust mine. They told me that most of the time on the DR, it is not necessary on the first service, but they always check it. The service manager has a DR650 as well and is a pretty nice guy so I trust him. You can always check it yourself afterwards if they say that they did it.

Hi, welcome, If you do your own maintenance, it's worth getting the manual. It's not cheap, but if you are doing your own work, it pays for itself in time. I do my own work and have found it an easy bike to maintain.

4. They should not have raised the forks at all.

Only internals should be changed to lower the bike and reduce suspension travel.

Get hold of a copy of the manual then take the bike back to have it done properly.

If you're looking for a manual, you can DL it here in PDF format: DR650 Wikia page

I'm gettin my '08 Friday! As far as your question about mods go, I asked b/c I was also planning on jetting and a pipe. What my dealer told me was to leave it stock for while because if I changed the jetting and pipe I would have to put it back to stock before I brought it in for service should it have a problem. So my plan is to ride it 4,000 miles or so then Ill have it! PS I'm also getting a black one (dont have a choice really, theres no blue ones on the east coast yet!)

What did you guys pay for your 08's?

Im payin $4800 + sales tax and thats it! Im in pretty good with my local dealer, and part of my deal is that I have to drive about an hour away to go get at a dealer that has one. Around here they're sold before they even come in.

I also paid $4800 + tax and dmv fees. BurnieM, what should they have done to lower the front instead of raising the fork tubes? I'm a bit worried now, but the bike seems to corner great. By the way I did order a manual-I wish I had known about the online version.

thanks for the responses everyone,

dave

any pics of the black 08?

BurnieM, what should they have done to lower the front instead of raising the fork tubes? I'm a bit worried now, but the bike seems to corner great.

Disassemble the forks and move a spacer onto the damper rod

Starts on page 5-47 of the manual

Greetings--After several weeks of nonstop shopping and research I finally purchased a new 08' Black DR650. I have only put a few miles on it so far, but it seems like a fun bike. Compared to my old Concours, it feels like a large mountain bike! I have a few questions for folks:

1. Is it safe to rejet and pipe it before the engine is fully broken in? I want to get a bit more sound and power. Will the bike run ok with a pipe and K&N filter without rejetting?

3. Has anyone figured out a clever way to permanantly carry documents and other small items such as sunglasses in a secure manner (not in the little tool holder)?

4. For folks that have had the bike lowered at the dealer (had mine done), how far up did they raise the forks? Mine seem maybe a bit high--not sure if this will have a negative effect on handling.

thanks,

dave

Extremely lean engines produce more heat. It's always safe to reduce heat extremes in any engine let alone one that is just breaking in. Do not add to the fire by installing a K&N and a pipe without re-jetting. :confused:

Regardless of what your dealer says you should check your valves. It's way too easy to do not to.... and a tight valve would be a bad thing.

I use a Moose front number plate bag for all legal docs and extra goodies. It removes in seconds to take with you... is water proof (so far anyway) and makes it very easy to access docs, wallet, etc while seated on the bike.

Yeah, as BunieM pointed out..... the dealership should have lowered the bike properly. My guess is if they dummied up on the forks they probably didn't lower the rear as they should either. I'd get manual in hand and go back to the dealer to have them lower the bike properly.

Im payin $4800 + sales tax and thats it! Im in pretty good with my local dealer, and part of my deal is that I have to drive about an hour away to go get at a dealer that has one. Around here they're sold before they even come in.

That makes me feel pretty good. I just picked up my 08 for $4499 + tax! It is black as well.

thanks,

dave

If you are going to have the dealer lower your bike get them to lower it before you sign the papers. It doesn't cost them any money (cept for a shorter kickstand).

I was going to have them lower it and they talked me out of doing it when I bought it. Then when I later asked about bringing it in to lower it they said it would cost about 450.

I started to do it myself but couldn't get the bottom shock bolt off. Man that thing was tight. All they had to do was to move the bottom shock bolt. They still charged an arm and a leg and everything was off so it was really easy to get to. Oh yea, they said they would have it back in a day or two and it was over 14 days.

Just something to think about. They shouldn't give you much greef about it because it's almost all labor. No parts cept the kickstand. But I would make that a deal breaker and I bet they won't say a thing about it.