Sign in to follow this  

Dove Springs or Jawbone?

Here's the deal, Last trip for desert riding this season and we want to make it a good one. We have done the Randsburg thing and camped north of Red Mountain, also spent time near Barstow and around Calico. We have narrowed it down to either Dove Springs or Jawbone. We want a nice open area for camping for the young ones to run around, but we need some good riding, most of the guys that go like open desert stuff (think Ocotillo Wells). So which do you think will suit us better, if we camp at one is the other accessible by dirtbike? GPS coordinates for specific trails and or camping spots would be great.

They about the same, dove springs is a alittle more "open".Its a pretty easy ride between the two.Or you can make loops out the back and back into each.

Donkey,

It'a all kind of the same area. The Jawbone entrance is 4-5 miles south of the Dove Springs entrance. Both are connected by any number of trails. If you're going with your kids you may want to stay away from the crowds (like I do).

We usaully go another 4 miles +/- to the Butterbredt entrance and camp out on the aquaduct road. It's much quieter up there. If you want I can send you GPS coordinates for campsites as well as some fun loops.

PM me if you want.

KS

I prefer the Jawbone area because its closer to the General store. Good ride for the kids to get ice cream.

Both are good.

How big is the general store? Are we talking 2 or 3 items on a dusty shelf or closer to a 7/11? We try and go self contained, but if we need something it will be nice to know the closes place to pick things up.

Donkey,

It'a all kind of the same area. The Jawbone entrance is 4-5 miles south of the Dove Springs entrance. Both are connected by any number of trails. If you're going with your kids you may want to stay away from the crowds (like I do).

KS

X2

But, the Dove Springs entrance is 11 miles north of the Jawbone Canyon entrance.

Have fun...

How big is the general store? Are we talking 2 or 3 items on a dusty shelf or closer to a 7/11? We try and go self contained, but if we need something it will be nice to know the closes place to pick things up.

Closer to a 7/11. They have just about everything to keep you fed and riding.

Nothing exotic such as spark arrestors or caviar, but a good selection of goods and some bike parts.

I'm hitting this place with DK as well. Mind you, the kids are quite young, as they have to stay within 100 feet of us type kids (1-3 yrs old). Just need a somewhat quiet/safe place to camp, while offering some pristine riding for the guys without having to go 10 miles just to get to it.... :confused:

Thanks for the feedback so far guys... Mojave is a little new to us, and as DK has mentioned, we've been a few places within Mojave, but none of which offered any exciting/fun riding, only general trails, etc. Very leisure type. Need to step it up a few notches and we're after that "Ocotillo Wells" type stuff out there. Not sure if it exists, but if so, we're looking for it out there.

We camped at Dove Springs over Pres. Day weekend. We ended up there only because the lady at Jawbone Station said that we wouldn't be able to find a spot that we can fit 3 trailers in Jawbone. Dove Springs was very crowded, and the riding the Jawbone way, IMO, was way better. It looked like we would have had better luck getting a more secluded spot in Jawbone. My friend who has been there many times said that it has never been a problem. There are trails that go between both places. I'm sure anon-holiday weekend would be OK in Dove Springs.

The general store

Jawbone02-0849.jpg

Our camsight (note all of the pople around us)

Jawbone02-0834.jpg

Some trails at Jawbone

Jawbone02-08154.jpg

you need to throw a pic of the widowmaker up there for jawbone.........Id say for seclusion camp out on aquaduct road up towards walker pass, you should be able to make the cabin run now since weve had some warmer weather to melt off that snow......when are you going? if its not this weekend (easter) you should be able to find a good campsite at jawbone.......I was there 2 thanksgivings ago and there literally was not a single campsite open there!

I'm hitting this place with DK as well. Mind you, the kids are quite young, as they have to stay within 100 feet of us type kids (1-3 yrs old). Just need a somewhat quiet/safe place to camp, while offering some pristine riding for the guys without having to go 10 miles just to get to it.... :confused:

Thanks for the feedback so far guys... Mojave is a little new to us, and as DK has mentioned, we've been a few places within Mojave, but none of which offered any exciting/fun riding, only general trails, etc. Very leisure type. Need to step it up a few notches and we're after that "Ocotillo Wells" type stuff out there. Not sure if it exists, but if so, we're looking for it out there.

When our kids were small, our favorite spot was just inside Jawbone Canyon.

Enter JBC from HWY14, at 3/4 of a mile make a left onto Dove Springs Road.

At 3/4 mile, look right and camp in the open area.

This little spot is great for keeping the kids in corraled. With the road and the hills surrounding the site, it is easy to keep track of them. It was always quiet on 'off weekends'. It is also in the JBC Open Area and the kids can ride around near camp. The Jawbone Store is about 1.4 miles from camp and an easy ride.

Map, GPS coordinates and picture of the JBC site:

35.31467701, -118.00524558

p2180034.jpg

JBC%20Camp_Store.JPG

Actually plan on going the weekend after easter. We do our best to avoid the crowds. Thanks for all the info, I have been working myself to death and am starting to get really excited about this trip.

When our kids were small, our favorite spot was just inside Jawbone Canyon.

Enter JBC from HWY14, at 3/4 of a mile make a left onto Dove Springs Road.

At 3/4 mile, look right and camp in the open area.

This little spot is great for keeping the kids in corraled. With the road and the hills surrounding the site, it is easy to keep track of them. It was always quiet on 'off weekends'. It is also in the JBC Open Area and the kids can ride around near camp. The Jawbone Store is about 1.4 miles from camp and an easy ride.

Map, GPS coordinates and picture of the JBC site:

35.31467701, -118.00524558

Personally I would not go to Jawbone/Dove. There are only a few legar trails that are any good. I would go to Spangler. Way better trails, and it's all legal.

Not sure, but it looks like that N6VMO's site is inside the open area.

If you want a place for the kids to ride around camp you have to stay inside the open area. If you are outside the open area and the Ranges see you they will cite you for the kids riding around the camp. The open areas at both Jawbone and Dove are quite small and tend to be chaotic on a weekend.

Here is a map of the area with all the legal trails. http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib//blm/ca/pdf/pdfs/ridgecrest_pdfs.Par.2af96de8.File.pdf/jawbone_acec_trail_map.pdf

Go to Johnson, I received coorspondance last night

they are still studying usage numbers. The more

the better.

Wayne

Go to Johnson, I received coorspondance last night

they are still studying usage numbers. The more

the better.

Wayne

Shoud be the topic of a new thread, but how are they getting the numbers. It's not like there is an entry kiosk that we have to go by.

Dove Springs entrance road off HWY14 is:35.41413250, -117.98065485

Our favorite Dove Springs campsite is:35.42912066, -117.99983940.

As cleonard said - But, this may not be as quiet as you like. It is also just outside the Dove Springs Open Area and you may get called on by the Kern County Sheriff if the kids are riding around camp. They just started implementing that rule, because you must stay on marked trails outside the OA. But, your off weekend adventure should be fine.

From that camp site you can make a Seifert's Cabin ride. See details:

This 60.1 mile round trip takes you to the base of the mountains, across Bird Spring, Horse, Sage and Cow Heaven Canyons to Robber's Roost.

From there you'll venture across HWY178, along the aquaducts and up Hidden Wells Canyon to Seifert's Cabin.

The route back to the start is a fast and easy Powerline Road ride.

Some pictures of the cabin and other stuff.

seifertscabinindianwells4.jpg

seifertscabinindianwells3.jpg

seifertscabinindianwells6.jpg

seifertscabinindianwellslookingsoutheasttowardridgecrestchinalake.jpg

Dove%20Springs%20to%20Seifert.

From reports I've herd, almost all the decent trails in the area are closed - or at least not legitimately legal. I haven't ridden there for a couple of years and even back then, most of the intriguing looking singletrack was marked closed. Also, as noted above, no riding for the kids around camp.

The real "pristine riding" is about 30 miles from Dove, and still probably snowed in. I think for what you're looking for, you may need to head elsewhere. If your expectations are not too high, I'm sure the area will be a lot of fun for you.

the cabin is a nice ride, lots of cool stuff to see up indian wells canyon......here is some pics from the cabin last week

031208014.jpg

my wife signing the guest book

031208012.jpg

031208009.jpg

Appreciate all the posts guys. I need to digest all of your information before I start posting more questions. Hopefully DK can ask some educated q's too about our plans based on all of the above information.

Cool pics by the way. I dig old places/artifacts, history out in the dez, etc! Neat.

all those pics of the cabin only show a small amount of stuff, there are a couple mines, all kinds of equipment, etc....sooo much to see there