Sign in to follow this  

Help with Dual Taper Needle Part #...Please.

I purchased a California issue XR400 in the Fall. I'm in Utah. I'm in the process of trying to take all the Cali Crap off of it and get it running a bit better.

I've read that the Needle Jet needs to be swapped out for the dual taper version. I keep reading reference to the A16A needle but can't find any part number that even resembles this number.

I've called the local dealership and tried to explain to them what I'm doing, but in true dealership fashion they have no f@#!-ing clue about anything other than "just sign here".

Can someone provide me a correct part number to reference for the needle jet I want to run in this thing? Or tell me where to look? Thanks for your help in advance.

I purchased a California issue XR400 in the Fall. I'm in Utah. I'm in the process of trying to take all the Cali Crap off of it and get it running a bit better.

I've read that the Needle Jet needs to be swapped out for the dual taper version. I reading reference to the A010 needle but can't find any part number that even resembles this number.

I've called the local dealership and tried to explain to them what I'm doing, but in true dealership fashion they have no f@#!-ing clue about anything other than "just sign here".

Can someone provide me a correct part number to reference for the needle jet I want to run in this thing? Or tell me where to look? Thanks for your help in advance.

I'll tell you what, that A16A needle makes a huge difference. Grind the header welds, Uni filter, remove snorkel, and aftermarket exhaust, then rejet to 160 / 60 (depending on your altitude), and it will run great.

I just put a Mikuni pumper on and I have to say there is very little difference from the perfectly tuned stock carb I had on before, I had the A16A needle and 162/60 jetting. I see a very little improvement, mostly just an improvement in starting with the Mikuni. Good luck.

What is the difference between the A16A needle and HRC needle if any?

some places sell a "Power up" kit. It's a good buy. It includes the needle (A16A) plus all new gaskets / o-rings for the carb.

I got mine from Yamaha of Troy. I'm sure the TT store can get it too.

If anything find the needle. Huge difference in carb function.

Try Baja Designs. $26.15 for the needle, clip, main, and pilot jet. Change em out and open the airbox a bit and you're good to go. Good luck!!!:confused:

One more thing, thy have the HRC spark arrestor = much better flow around $47.00

I appreciate all the responses from everyone.

I have done the following:

Gutted Air Box/Snorkel

Uni Air-filter and new cage

Double Checked Header Welds (nothing needed as they seemed pretty clean)

Kept stock exhaust for now, but drilled out the outlet to pass more exhaust gas.

--I'm trying to decipher the goofy plumbing between the crank case vent hose and the airbox. Maybe that isn't as big of a deal.

My carb currently has the CA issue needle with 155/55 jets in it. I'll swap that up shortly as I'm riding about 4000-5000ft...most of the time.

Thanks fellas!!!

HRC Needle: 16012-NKK-000

A16A Needle: 16012-KCY-681

Correct me if I'm wrong but these are identical parts. Just different numbers depending on who you're purchasing them from....

The goofy plumbing you refer to is not a big issue and has nil effect on how the bike runs. If you were to go to the effort to remove it you wouldn't notice any significant change in performance. In other words, "if you don't hassle it, it won't hassle you". Just go for the jet kit from Baja designs and you'll be happy.

I too had drilled out my end cap (per Gordons mods) and while I saw some increase in performance it paled in comparison to the free flow spark arrestor made by Honda available thru Baja Designs also. Good luck to you. BTW, if you need part #'s or phone numbers, just ask and I'll set you up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but these are identical parts. Just different numbers depending on who you're purchasing them from....

Those are both Honda part numbers.

From what I've read on here the HRC needle is expected to be used with opened up airbox and exhaust.